Newest Gpu That Will Play Sta

troy5061

My old 8800gt and my 8800 Ultra dont like star trek armada, it doesnt display the game right. From what ive heard there is not much that can be done about it. Im pretty sure an ATI card will play it, the game was made back in the day when ati was king and I have yet to see an ATI card not play it. Ive always had trouble with Nvidia cards and this game. Im thinking about going to a HD 4870 1gb but I hate to waste the money if it wont run it. Anyone know if it does? Im pretty sure the the 2900XT runs it and I can get one on ebay for $100 shipped but its pretty much the same performance as my Ultra so its pointless to have both and swapping is a pain. I guess I could just buy a cheap HP NC 8000 laptop and pray it runs it.

What game engine does that use? If it uses OpenGL, unfortunately, older opengl games don't like to run on newer hardware. I'm having the same problem with my 8800gt and 4850's with Medal of Honor Spearhead that uses the Quake3 engine, which is OpenGL.

One suggestion: Try downloading NHancer and see if that doesn't fix your problem. What NHancer does is override driver defaults and creates custom tweaks for all sorts of games.

It uses direct X 7 or 8. Its an nvidia problem not xp x64, none of the 8 series cards will play it right from what ive read on the internet. So im not holding out much hope that a 9 series or 200 series will either.

What game engine does that use? If it uses OpenGL, unfortunately, older opengl games don't like to run on newer hardware. I'm having the same problem with my 8800gt and 4850's with Medal of Honor Spearhead that uses the Quake3 engine, which is OpenGL.

One suggestion: Try downloading NHancer and see if that doesn't fix your problem. What NHancer does is override driver defaults and creates custom tweaks for all sorts of games.

thanks Ill try that tonight, got any links?

If it's old, have you run it in compatibility mode? Or don't you think XP 64-bit could be your problem?

Yea it came out in 2000. Ive tried all the compatibility modes and nothing. Its got to be something with the newer Nvidia cards. I have a Geforce 4 MX 420 (circa 2001) ive been using the past few years for it and it runs on xp x64 with that. All I do is take out the Ultra and put in the MX420 in my current rig and it works, but I really want to retire that old thing and swapping is a pain.

Edited by troy5061

U must be totally in love with that game to go out & buy special hardware for it.

Tons of people went out and bought alot more expensive stuff than me for Crysis. :P

Plus it wont really cost much $250 or so for the HD4870 and if it works with STA thats great but its also an upgrade from what I have as well. So its like killing to birds with one stone.

If you hate swapping cards, you don't want to buy a 2900XT, as that means swapping OS' as well :lol: ATI and NVIDIA drivers in one OS don't play nice, you really don't want to do that! Get yourself an older NVIDIA card, maybe a GeForce 6200 or 7300 or something like that.

• 4 weeks later...
If you hate swapping cards, you don't want to buy a 2900XT, as that means swapping OS' as well :lol: ATI and NVIDIA drivers in one OS don't play nice, you really don't want to do that! Get yourself an older NVIDIA card, maybe a GeForce 6200 or 7300 or something like that.

Nvidia cards since the beginning of time don't like to play nice with Star Trek Armada. The only one that ever did work well, from personal experience, was an AGP Nvidia GeForce 265. I have never had any issues with an ATI card running Star Trek Armada, AGP or PCI-E.

This game is awesome and now with a freakin' sweet machine you can finally play it to it's potential. Install Star Trek Armada. Then install the BattleStations 4.3 mod. Then start modding the game yourself. Sure, it'll play on an old machine like a 600MHz, but it goes out of sync a lot if you have too many players and/or too many things built. However, if you serve a game on a sweet new computer, the game plays fine on an older computer no matter how many things are created or how many players there are in the game.

I can tell you that Star trek armada 2 does not work with the 4870 X2. (1.1 Patch for A2)

Then again, that was on last installation, Ill try again.

Edited by Ste