9800gt Or 4850

CheeseMan42

Yea, isn't their temperature around 85 degrees celsius on load? My friends 2900PRO runs at 80 and he doesn't have any problems.

That's not bad at all. My 4870X2 runs in the mid 90s just like my old 2900XT did.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not way cheaper, cheapest 9800GT I found was $95 after MIR, HD 4850 is only $140 after MIR, and its performance is better then the 9800GT, as I said before the HD 4850's performance is comparable to the 9800GTX, and if you have the money go with the HD 4850.

I also heard there was a fix for the HD 4850's overheating problem which lets you adjust the fan's speed.

Edit: If you can get the 1gb version since you are playing at that high resolution

Not to nitpick, but that 9800 gt would be 33% cheaper. To me that seems like a lot of money, but I think I'll get th 4850 anyway.

1920x1080? I'd spend the extra to get the 4850. The difference between the two cards is larger at higher resolutions.

EDIT: I wish you guys wouldn't keep saying "heating problem." Yes, the cards run hot. They are designed to. It's not a problem.

I think I'll be going with the 4850 then. I guess I should've mentioned that the LCD is only 720p.

If you have the money just go with the HD 4870 :)

I heard the 4 series has microstuttering, anyone know about that?

I have some in FarCry 2 but that game is coded badly so idk whether it was the card or not. No other games stutter.

I have some in FarCry 2 but that game is coded badly so idk whether it was the card or not. No other games stutter.

I also have some in Guitar Hero III. I was not getting that with my 8800GT, so apparently it's the card/driver, but I can't swear.

All in all, I would also go with the 4850. And BTW it's better than a 9800GTX(+). Look in this review. The 4850 pwns it in almost all tests at the highest resolutions. Although it's true that at lower resolutions the the 9800GTX scores better.

I also have some in Guitar Hero III. I was not getting that with my 8800GT, so apparently it's the card/driver, but I can't swear.

All in all, I would also go with the 4850. And BTW it's better than a 9800GTX(+). Look in this review. The 4850 pwns it in almost all tests at the highest resolutions. Although it's true that at lower resolutions the the 9800GTX scores better.

Then I guess I'm fortunate enough to be playing at higher resolutions :)

Also, this gives me a reason to OC my Q6600 finally. Was just using it as a HTPC before.

I put an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev2 or such on my 4850 which used to do 90C and now loads at 45C (2x120mm Yate Loon silent fans blowing over the Accelero...best $20 cooling I ever spent).

I play 1680x1050 and my 4850 is more than enough card for that resolution.

Was this a messed up quotation from someone else, or it comes from you? :huh:

nope, sorry I'm used to literature books where they use brackets to point out things related to the previous statement.

oh and...jerk <_<

/off topic

My vote goes for the 4850

Edited by damian