Windows: Vista Or Xp - 32bit Or 64bit?

jackbrennan2008

in my opinion vista x64 sp1 it`s the OS that supposed to be from the beggining..just like our mate here said.

I used to have xp x64 edition and it was a much better choice than xp 32bit in my opinion. much of the application loaded faster than on the 32xp but anyway let`s just hope that in couple of years we`ll have programs in 32 and 64 bit each just for us to choose :)

• 2 weeks later...
yea I thought this was a very decent guide...Now can we get a mod to sticky this topic already

I can dream lol, its not the most comprehensive guide around but i think it sums up the most important points in a nutshell for most people. Most importantly when it cv\omes to the whole, 'Can i get vista x64' question! which im seeing more and more of as time goes on!

Vista Ultimate is great!

But, any other Vista Version sucks because you can't turn off UAC or log in is Administrator. Even running the command: "LUSRMGR.MSC" or the command: "control userpasswords2" in any other version than Ultimate gives the Vista reply: "not a valid command for this version of operating system". Even if you try a reinstall- upgrade or clean- and press "shift + F10" during "installing devices" you are locked out from accessing the "Administrator" password and account.

In XP Pro the commands are: "NUSRMGR.CPL" & "control userpasswords2". If you have XP Pro at say your workplace that was installed by your ITC people, and don't have/ can't get "true Adminstrator Account control" you can do an "upgrade" reinstall. Press: "shift + F10" during: "Installing Devices". A DOS like command window will open During the Reinstall and after pressing "shift + F10"- hopefully from a bootable disc- you can type in the above commands during: "Installing Devices" & it will bring up a GUI window that allows you to reset your Administrator Password. :)

If anyone knows how to hack into the "Administrator" account in non-Ultimate Vista versions please let us know! :blush:

Vista Ultimate is great!

But, any other Vista Version sucks because you can't turn off UAC or log in is Administrator. Even running the command: "LUSRMGR.MSC" or the command: "control userpasswords2" in any other version than Ultimate gives the Vista reply: "not a valid command for this version of operating system". Even if you try a reinstall- upgrade or clean- and press "shift + F10" during "installing devices" you are locked out from accessing the "Administrator" password and account.

In XP Pro the commands are: "NUSRMGR.CPL" & "control userpasswords2". If you have XP Pro at say your workplace that was installed by your ITC people, and don't have/ can't get "true Adminstrator Account control" you can do an "upgrade" reinstall. Press: "shift + F10" during: "Installing Devices". A DOS like command window will open During the Reinstall and after pressing "shift + F10"- hopefully from a bootable disc- you can type in the above commands during: "Installing Devices" & it will bring up a GUI window that allows you to reset your Administrator Password. :)

If anyone knows how to hack into the "Administrator" account in non-Ultimate Vista versions please let us know! :blush:

I never knew that as i always gut vista with Vlite http://www.vlite.net/ i did it to my wifes vista basic and just ripped UAC and all the crap i dont want in my OS out. If its not there, it doesnt get installed problem solved =D

Are you serious? You can't turn off UAC in any version but Ultimate? Thats completely insane.

Vista does suck, no matter what they have "fixed".

Just as an example, I loaded Knights of the Old Republic onto my husbands Vista Premium based laptop the other day. I downloaded a few things for the game. For example, I needed the Vista Fix to get the game to work. And no matter what I downloaded, the stupid idiotic thing kept asking me "are you sure you want to do this", and "we need administrator permission to do that". The worst thing is that the only thing required to give "administrator permission" was a totally useless extra window and pressing the "ok" button.

How incredibly aggravating. When you've done that for the 10th time, it makes you want to throw the damned thing out the window. There's no need for all that. I already said "yes" and I'm the owner, dammit, I shouldn't have to go through a bunch of extra windows just to install something. It didn't do that to me on xp (which I have on my computer atm).

After an hour downloading new lightsabers, robes, the Vista fix, and a few other things for the game to his computer I actually was starting to get aggravated enough that I had to put down the laptop and do something else for a while.

Whoever thought up that insane idiotic crap should be fired.

A rather good guide, though there a few things that VISTA still has troubles with... or should I say other vendors have a problem with VISTA. One is a secure VPN client, I have tried for almost 1 year to get one stable, and still no go. Because I require this, I would up Dual booting my main system, if I require the VPN, I just boot into XP.

But, any other Vista Version sucks because you can't turn off UAC or log in is Administrator.

that's a load... I turned off UAC on my laptop running vista home premium x86 just fine.

granted my account is the admin account, but why shouldn't you use it. I like having more control over my own machine.

Vista Ultimate is great!

You're full of crap...You can easily turn UAC off in any version of Vista by using the same exact steps as any other Vista version. I just tried that on my laptop, running Home Premium, and it works just fine. Personally I prefer UAC, keeps things from installing them selves on their own. As the old saying goes "Security is the opposite of ease of use."

Although LUSRMGR.MSC does not allow you to control anything as that is the Local Users and Groups manager, and is only avalible for computers that are able to connect to an enterprise domain(active directory) control userpasswords2 does bring up the User Accounts window, exactly as it does in Ultimate. And of course you can't change the adminitrator password, the administrator account is disabled by default, and is also only present to be the local admintrator account when the machine is part of an enterprise domain.

Vista Ultimate is great!

Definitely 100% wrong on this one, I have Vista Business 64 and turned it off, and those commands work fine with mine...