Sign in to follow this  
MisFiT_

Hard Drive Questions

How are hard drives compatible with motherboard ect.

Compatibility with the motherboard/methods of backing up data if you want to take the hard drive off a computer and add a fresh new one onto the computer? What possible ways are there of taking the data off the old hard drive and putting the data on the new hard drive?

Are any IDE hard drives compatible with each other? What do you have to worry about when replacing a IDE hard drive with another one? Are 166 IDE hard drives compatible with 133 IDE hard drives or w/e? LoL. Is there different pins you have to worry about? What about master/slave?

Iso hard drive knowledge.

Thank you.

The only compatibility problem you would face would be the file system. If it has a linux or os2 file system on it and you put it on a windows computer, you would not be able to see what was on the drive because windows only recognizes FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.

Other than that, Just for fun, I threw in a 1 gig IDE hard drive on my current system that I found in an old computer at work they were throwing away, and it worked just fine. There are different versions of IDE connectivity, such as ATA- 33, ATA-66, etc. They are all compatible with each other.

The only compatibility problem you would face would be the file system. If it has a linux or os2 file system on it and you put it on a windows computer, you would not be able to see what was on the drive because windows only recognizes FAT, FAT32 and NTFS.

Other than that, Just for fun, I threw in a 1 gig IDE hard drive on my current system that I found in an old computer at work they were throwing away, and it worked just fine. There are different versions of IDE connectivity, such as ATA- 33, ATA-66, etc. They are all compatible with each other.

Ah yes, my biggest worry is about the different speeds like 133, 166 ect, and if they're compatible with each other.. Thank you!

How about master and slave drives? If we didn't set it, should it be a problem?

Depending on the age of the drive, just set both on the same IDE cable to Cable select. As for the connectivity, just remember that with IDE, the "Bus" will only run as fast as the slowest member. So if you were to put an ATA-166 drive on the same cable as a ATA-33 Device, the interface will run at ATA-33

If you set both drives master or both slave on a single IDE Channel You'll end up with no functional drive until You set them right ;) This is a common issue even today (where IDE drives are used) An inexperienced user may commit that error and panic. Don't panic, just power off the PC and either put one of the drives to the second IDE Channel or switch it to be the opposite (Slave->Master or Master->Slave) :)

Fortunately everything is using SATA now <phew> ;)