Xp On A New Laptop Possible?

veo_darkness13

It's been a while since I've posted here, though I'm a long time lurker. I'm looking into buying a new machine, from an old-school, long since been built desktop to a shiny new laptop. [see below]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220393

My only qualm however is that I don't want to run Vista. I love XP, I love how much I can tweak it, and having never used Vista so I worry that I won't be able to play with it as much as I do XP. Would you guys have any idea if I could reformat this back to XP, and where I might obtain the drivers, or am I truly stuck on this one. If I'm stuck, is Vista really as terrible as everyone says it is?

I'm a student, and thus short on cash, otherwise I'd go for something a bit more powerful. I also need the mobility, for the reason stated previously, but I'd still like as much performance as possible being a gamer at heart. I have yet to purchase the laptop, so if you guys have any better recommendations, I'd love to hear.

Thanks for your help,

Veo

if you want to run xp on this laptop you can reformat the HDD and install xp the drivers for XP should be avalible form the manufactours website, im running vista now and i dont think it is that bad tbh i cant wait to see what people have a problem with vista is ok evrything is been pushed towards vista anyways

you can run whatever you want. just make sure to have drivers for it when reformatting i would get them first before you start to reformat or just download them to your old rig and burn them on a cd or drag and drop to flash drive then just install on the laptop after reformatting

Well that's what I figured, but I was hearing about people having some issues reformatting laptops back. I checked the ASUS site and found no support for XP for that specific model, so would it be a simple case of hunting down each individual devices' drivers? I know it seems a bit of a dumb question to be asking, but I'd really hate to drop $1k and end up with Vista and find I hate it. /paranoid.

You'll have a hell of a time finding drivers (especially for anything built in, many companies don't produce XP drivers at all any more). You won't hate Vista, just go ahead and get it and make sure you get the 64 bit version. :)

• 1 month later...

It is possible, I managed to downgrade from vista on my vaio notebook. It did not take long to get the essential drivers such as sounds and graphics, from the component manufacturers websites, but notebook manufacturer specific components such as brightness did take me a few weeks to solve. If you are a novice to IT i would not recommend it.

Edited by Ricky C

Why downgrade? It's like buying a sportscar and swapping the performance tyres for cheap remoulds <_<

Just disable everything in Vista you don't need, and you'll find it's pretty smooth, and you're going to have to learn it sooner or later, so why put it off?

and you're going to have to learn it sooner or later, so why put it off?

Uh what? There are probably going to be people who will keep Windows XP until Windows 7 comes out. Probably what I am going to do, because Vista is a waste if you have XP laying around, except if you want all the Aero stuff on Vista and DX10.

But, I wouldn't downgrade a laptop/desktop that has Vista with it, such a waste of money if you do!!!

Edited by Darkfuneral1337

There are times when a downgrade is required. When I bought this laptop for work, Only Vista Home Premium was available. Since then XP is offered at a premium.

I had to downgrade the laptop for 2 reasons, first, I HAVE to use a Secure VPN connection, and the vendor does not yet have a stable VIita Client.

The second reason was I have to maintain 50 remote HP Printers, and the HP software was not written for Vista but for XP. As for benchmarks, when I tested it before the downgrade, and XP after, XP actually was a bit faster.

Sometimes it is not wanting to downgrade, but needing to, and that may well be dictated by outside influences, such as work.