E8400

Just finished my new build and had a question on my CPU speed. I have a DFI LP LT P35 mother board with 4 gigs of Mushkin DDR2 800 I had everything set to auto and it did not show the right speed on the memory so I changed it in the bios to 5 4 4 12, which it should have been. I ran CPU-Z and it shows my CPU at 2000.2 Mhz and the buss speed at 333.4 with a 6x multiplier. I thought this CPU ran at 3 gig? Can anyone tell me if this is right and if not how do I change it. The memory tab of CPU-Z all so shows the DRAM frequency of 400 and the FSB DRAM at 5.6. I thought the memory was 800. Is there something wrong here. Thank you for any help...

ps...the memory is running at 1.8 volts which is correct from what I have read

The CPU uses dynamic stepping or something, it only operates at 2000 at idle and when any load above say 30% is on it goes to 3000. if you run prime 95 you can see that it goes to 3000, this is basically a power saving feature.

if you go to your bios you can change to always run at 3Ghz

Thank you so much for your fast reply, Tim. It has been a long day and I am tired. I thought I screwed something up on the install. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Edited by ronbo191

I did find this Tim and it helped me out a lot. You were right, not that I ever doubted you.....

@TS

don't worry.. you just have C1E and EIST enabled in your bios. just disable them to stop your CPU from throttling down.

i was also suprised and shocked when i got my E8400 the first time because i don't know anything about C1E and EIST.

it's hard to put these things @ 100% under normal usage and without the use of dedicated CPU stress test programs like orthos and Futuremark's own CPU test.

i got mine working with both C1E and EIST.. take a look..

Also, for your ram, that is normal, don't know how to explain it, but there is nothing wrong.

i run 667mhz and it only shows 333dram freq.

Yea in CPUZ won't show 667 but 333 because you have DDR 2 which means its double pumped so its 333x2 which equals out to 667. Just like if you were running DDR 2 800 it would show 400, and DDR 2 1066 shows 533 and so on. As you can see in my pic mine runs at 950mhz but it only shows 475 because its double pumped 475x2 = 950mhz. Just like your FSB which is quad pumped so in my case it says 475. 475x8 equals 3.8ghz.

As for it going down to 2.0ghz when Idle, thats just intels speedstep like Timmy said its real easy to turn off in your bios.

Edited by troy5061

I think I will leave it set as it is Troy. This speed step sounds like a good thing. Why waste power if its not needed. And yes Tim, there was a picture that went with that post, I forgot to include it. Here it is.

finallq6.jpg