My Ideal Gaming Rig

GRN

I finally got tired of my Dell system that I paid 1000+ bottlenecking my upgrades and wanted to start over. This time I plan to build my computer, which I hear saves a lot of money. Looking for some advice on this, all comments are appreciated. This rig equals to about $555 w/o tax and shipping.

1-Motherboard

2-Case

3-RAM

4-CPU

5-CD Drives

6-SATAHard Drive

7-VideoCard (Already got that down, XFX 8600GT Factory OC'd 256mb)

8-Soundcard (Already got that down, Razer Barracuda Soundcard)

1-ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 169.99

2-The NZXT LEXA 99.99

3- OCZ Platinum Revision-2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2x1024MB) 44.99

4-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor 169.99

5-Lite-On PLDS DVD-ROM/CD-RW Retail Combo Drive - 52x32x CD-R/RW, 16x DVD-ROM, Black 24.99

6-Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM 44.99

yeah, $555 isn't going to get you much for a gaming rig unless you skimp on a few items. You left out video card, psu and hard drives (if you need them). And I'll second that deal on the ram Bosco mentioned.

I'll see what I can do about piecing something together that would be decent for the moolah.

I chose this case because it gets you a basic case with psu to get you started. it's best to not skimp on the internal components on an initial build, especially on a budget build. You can upgrade the case and psu later.

Case with PSU: LOGISYS Computer Area 51 CS51WSL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply (not great by any means, but it will get you started and you can upgrade later)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R will allow you to crossfire two cards later and isn't too shabby for overclocking but isn't the greatest either

CPU: E8400 Super overclocker, excellent gaming processor, one of the best cpu's intel has out there

RAM: Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

Video: VisionTek Radeon HD 4850 512MB

This comes to around $15 less than your $555 goal, but doesn't include hard drives, a monitor, keyboard, mouse or OS.

Edited by slngsht

Yeah I forgot about the PSU, thought it came with the case but I was looking at the wrong one >.<

As for the RAM I agree and I bookmarked a link about it but forgot about it. Here it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-L1C-_-20145184

As for the videocard I left that out cause I have a spare 8600 GT that I could always use to save some money. I already have the keyboard/mouse/monitor from my old setup that I would like to also use. I'll take a look at the suggestions you gave me, thanks guys. More comments are welcome too. :)

Edit: I did a power supply calculator check on the components I plan to use in this rig. And it says I need a recommended 386W to power this. Do you guys know any good 400-500W power supplies that are reliable and can fit my NZXT case?

Edited by GRN

Case with PSU: LOGISYS Computer Area 51 CS51WSL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 480W Power Supply (not great by any means, but it will get you started and you can upgrade later)

Probably the worse case you could ever pick even on a budget! Not only will the power supply be a pain but so would the case. Putting that power supply in with those parts are putting the rest of the hardware at risk with such a generic PSU

Alright so far,

1-Motherboard ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 169.99?????

2-Case The NZXT LEXA 99.99

3-RAM CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory 54.99

4-CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor 169.99

5-CD Drive Lite-On PLDS DVD-ROM/CD-RW Retail Combo Drive - 52x32x CD-R/RW, 16x DVD-ROM, Black 24.99

6-Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM 44.99

7-Power Supply???

Not so sure about the motherboard. Also the which power supply is recommended by you guys?

Edit: I have looked in reviews that this motherboard has came out on top. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...pk=p5b%20deluxe

Edited by GRN

I agree with Bosco on the motherboard :) Power supply wise, here's a selection of good ones that'll power your rig just fine:

Antec Earthwatts 380W - 40$ (funny how the 430W unit is like 60$ :lol:)

Antec Earthwatts 500W - 50$

Antec NeoPower 430W - 50$ <-- Modular

Antec NeoPower 500W - 55$ <-- Modular

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 420W - 60$

While I may sound like an Antec fanboy here, their PSUs are great (running an Earthwatts 380W myself in the rig in my sig right now!) and can be had for relatively cheap!

Probably the worse case you could ever pick even on a budget! Not only will the power supply be a pain but so would the case. Putting that power supply in with those parts are putting the rest of the hardware at risk with such a generic PSU

Yeah, you're right on that one. I'd only get it for a very temporary solution just to put components in till I could scrape up enough money for a better one.

I would take this board over that Asus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128345

Yeah, I had the p5k deluxe for a bit and the board's layout was just plain awful.

Okay I have decided on the power supply and only need help with one more thing, the mother board. It is between the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard or the GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

I'm leaning towards the DS3R just cause it can hold bigger amounts of memory such as DDR3, but that's about it. It's a little more expensive than DS3L. What do you guys think? Here's the comparison link on newegg.