The Official 'i Just Bought...' Thread

kingdingeling

I just bought 6GB of G.Skill Pi's. They are DDR3 1600MHz with 8-8-8-21 timings. Too bad I can only use 4GB of it since AMD uses dual channel :(. Anyway what would happen if I was to put all 6GB in there instead of 4? Worse OCing? Decrease in performance?

post-66305-1241895309_thumb.jpg

Well the quads need more memory bandwidth but i was wondering exactly how much myself. The best thing to do is try them all in single vs 4 gigs in dual channel. Run some benchmarks and see which is better. I would be interested in the results myself. depending on the apps you run it may be better with 6 in single especially ddr1600. It would be an interesting project, i think. You could test it both ways and start a new thread. Everyone is gonna probably say the dual channel would be better right off the bat, but really I bet there will be some surprises in the benchmarks. AS long as they arent just memory bandwidth synthetic benchies.

Alright cool, will do when my build is complete :D

*edit* Read up on the topic, It seems that 4GB dual is always better than 6GB single (With DDR2 anyway).

Anyway is the triple channel memory controller on the i7 in any way better then dual channel on AMD?

Edited by TheConqueror

I just bought....

2 x Q6600's

Asus P5Q Deluxe

EVGA 9800Gx2

XFX GTX260 192

XFX GTX260 216

Antec 300

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS Black

3 x OCZ Platinum PC8500

1 x WD 1TB Black edition

1 x WD 500GB

2 x DVDRW

LG 24" LCD

Logitech G15 keyboard

Logitech MX Laser mouse

Corsair 850W PSU

2007 Arctic Cat 700 efi 4x4

All within the last 2 weeks..... :blink:

Alright cool, will do when my build is complete :D

*edit* Read up on the topic, It seems that 4GB dual is always better than 6GB single (With DDR2 anyway).

Anyway is the triple channel memory controller on the i7 in any way better then dual channel on AMD?

yes the triple is better on the i7 much better theoretical and in synthetic memory benchmarks! Really i think they went triple channel for hyperthreading although so i dont think it would benefit the phenom 2 to have triple channel in the real world.

I know that dual channel was a pretty good boost in dual channel especially in quad core configurations. But sometimes the gain wasnt as much as i expected. But thats why i was wondering about with much faster ddr3. I really expect the difference to be small on the x3s when your like at ddr1600 but i could be wrong. Its just something i havent seen compared yet, so if you have time try n do some benchies, it will be cool to see how much the technology is going, If the CPUs are moving faster than the ram tech can keep up as usual or just maybe the ram might be getting a little ahead. I dont know i am crazy sometimes but the data will be useful

A case of wine - my wife and I went on a tour of several local wineries. We might have to kick one of the kids out to expand our storage space.

Plantronics 377 headphones. First song I heard using them " California Love" -South Park version. :music: