The Official 'i Just Bought...' Thread

kingdingeling

I wanted to order the SCCA roll bar and harness bar combo, but it's $500 plus shipping from California. It's ghetto rigged to drive a couple miles and pass inspection on Tuesday, and once that's done I'll go to a shop and have a full cage installed for about $1000.

And thanks. :)

Do you have the original seat belts in there still? They might not pass those on inspection...it wasn't an issue in SC for the miata -- but we also had them mounted to the roll bar properly. :P We still had the originals just in case...

Do you have the original seat belts in there still? They might not pass those on inspection...it wasn't an issue in SC for the miata -- but we also had them mounted to the roll bar properly. :P We still had the originals just in case...

Yeah, I still have them, and its only three bolts to put them back in. Its not one of those yearly-ish inspections like California and maybe SC (don't know what kind of inspection you guys had to do), its an inspection for getting it transferred from a salvage title to a rebuilt title. I bought it as a salvage because the previous owner saved it from a junkyard. All cars bought from junkyards are branded as salvaged, even though some are never wrecked, like mine. From what I've seen and heard, the Florida inspection is a joke. Kind of just a once over to make sure your car is driveable and won't kill anyone or catch fire (which it has, lol). 

I'd temporarily install the regular belts for the inspection. I do like that they match the car. :P

I had second thoughts about doing the harnesses this early. Now I'm REALLY having second thoughts. :lol: At least I'll have something to do during the day next week. :lol: Also, wow, a compliment from Waco. ;)

Edited by Onion

It just depends on how much of a dick the inspector chooses to be. Technically anything but the stock belt could qualify for a fail just like going 3 MPH over the limit could get you a ticket.

It's unlikely, but it would suck if they decided to fail you for that.

It just depends on how much of a dick the inspector chooses to be. Technically anything but the stock belt could qualify for a fail just like going 3 MPH over the limit could get you a ticket.

It's unlikely, but it would suck if they decided to fail you for that.

Stock belts it is, then. :( Also, 3 mph over in Florida won't get you a ticket no matter what. :D Worst they can do is a written warning. Usually they won't pull you for anything under 5 mph. 

Yeah, I still have them, and its only three bolts to put them back in. Its not one of those yearly-ish inspections like California and maybe SC (don't know what kind of inspection you guys had to do), its an inspection for getting it transferred from a salvage title to a rebuilt title. I bought it as a salvage because the previous owner saved it from a junkyard. All cars bought from junkyards are branded as salvaged, even though some are never wrecked, like mine. From what I've seen and heard, the Florida inspection is a joke. Kind of just a once over to make sure your car is driveable and won't kill anyone or catch fire (which it has, lol). 

Inspections. You have to be joking? :rofl:

SC don't care. You saw that little tin lizzie of mine in the post your ride thread. I bought it from a guy in nc who sold cause it couldn't pass inspection anymore, then i drove it for 10k miles and sold it again. About the only thing in that truck that could have passed inspection was the the headlights. :thumbsup:

Wasn't inspections I was talking about really -- police will write tickets for the dumbest things...

Though I must admit NM here is worse -- got a warning driving the damn tiger car...I think it's just because we're young. There's no way we were going 35 as mr. cop cop said...

Wasn't inspections I was talking about really -- police will write tickets for the dumbest things...

Though I must admit NM here is worse -- got a warning driving the damn tiger car...I think it's just because we're young. There's no way we were going 35 as mr. cop cop said...

I've actually had some pretty laid back cops in the southern part of the state. Only got one ticket when I was doing 90 in a 75. Received a warning for doing 84 in a 75, but a "ticket" for expired registration. And I say "ticket" because my registration had expired a week before and never got my renewal in the mail. Told the cop that so he wrote on the ticket for the judge to throw out the ticket and waive any fees when I showed him my updated registration.