Whitelightning

Shutting Down My Folding

Well....I have decided to start shutting down my machines. I have had it with Stanford's crappy smp clients. One of my dual core machines has not turned in a WU in 2 days because it now says missing work files..I tried to re install it but it just will not work. I am tired of spending so much time trying to get the dam client to run properly that I give up. I am leaving the other machines to fold on until I start getting the errors on them as well, which I know is going to happen. So as they come up with errors I will be shutting them down and selling them. It is just to much work keeping them running, cleaning them, the hydro bill.

It has been a fun ride and I enjoyed climbing the ranks.

Bah...that's just something that you have to put up with when you run the "high performance clients".

It's a tradeoff between getting lots of work done (and points) and the added headache of something not working properly. If you want a better guarantee of success...the standard client awaits you.

It can be a pain at times... :foldon:

White I hear you the clients have gotten very bad lately <_>

You spend more time trying to keep the damn things running then you do anything else. A few times I have thought about shutting it down :(

Yeah I hear you!

I started up again when I tried the GPU client and was super excited to have the hardware to punch out over 30k per day, (3 x gpu and 6 x smp) but after the DEINO disaster (almost caved my system) i shut down smp for a while until i tried the regular mpi but when I got my first power bill i decided that maybe its a little too much! And yeah it's a lot of headaches. Still have a few XP's out there folding awat though.

Crash

If you want a better guarantee of success...the standard client awaits you.

I totally agree with Nate on this one. I myself just recently started folding again (kind of) and am using the standard clients. Why not fold with those simple ones?

I haven't used the SMP client for a while, but the Windows SMP was notorious for erroring out for random reasons. I'd give the Linux in VMWare a try, it really is quite easy!

Get back to it! By the way kingdingeling, I haven't had a single issue with my Windows SMP. My GPU 6.20r1 is the biggest pain! It EUEs all the time and pauses 24 hours. Keeps needing to restart.