Sign in to follow this  
guzzidom

Hi, long time no speak.

I've got to the point that I need to upgrade my poor ole rig, it's done me proud since the days of a 2800/754 and an ATi 9600xt, the current spec is in the sig.

It's not brilliant at running Nikon Capture 4 which likes a multiple core processor so my first move was to look for an old 939 4600/4800 and up the ram to 2GB, however with the high prices that chip commands these days (along with the rising cost of DDR400) it would make more sense to change the mobo and chip along with a couple of sticks of PC6400.

I'm not too interested in gaming but I don't want to lose anything over my 7600GT.

Can anybody recommend a mobo with CPU, Ram and perhaps onboard graphics that will suit.

I will be using XP so DX10 not needed, I may overclock but only 10-15% because I don't want to start running a lot of fans etc

My first look around has turned up

1 x AMD 6000 (3.1ghz 89W) (

Hello;

i had an 8500gt. if you don't plan on doing much gaming, then it's not a bad card at all...it even handled gears of war on mostly medium settings at 1024x768, so if you wanna game it can do it too. you might consider the 8600gt though if you want quite a bit better card at most likely close to the same price.

the amd 6000+ is probably a fine choice of cpu if you don't plan to overclock at all, but since you have your own cooler already (a 939 cooler should work fine on a socket am2) you might consider a black edition amd am2 cpu...you might can save a little money and the 5000+ overclocks with ease with a simple multiplier adjustment.

as cheap as ddr2 is right now, you might consider a nice performance ram with a heatspreader (i know crucial has some pretty low end stuff...but they also have some higher end stuff too, though i'm not sure how much it runs these days). You should be able to snag some nice performance ocz 800mhz for quite cheap.

i like msi for a motherboard personally (had a bad time with an asus board and won't be messing with them again...atleast anytime soon. my msi is running like a champ). that msi k9a2 platinum looks like something you could stick with for quite awhile...but if you ever did wanna put a high end graphics card in there it doesn't look like it would fit according to reviews on newegg.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

I've found a few boards with a "Hybrid" tag that is supposed to provide a boost with "discrete" graphics card.

Except...

I've no idea what a discrete graphics card is.

are the 8500GT and 8600GT "discrete"

I've just browsed the web for an hour without actually answering what's meant by this.

no prob...

i'm assuming discrete means simply separate from the onboard graphics, and in that case any add-on graphics card should theoretically be discrete...sometimes things seem more technical than they really are i think :rolleyes:

yes, hybrid is really interesting if you don't plan to use your add-on card too much as in not gaming too much. the msi k9n2 sli platinum is a hybrid board if i'm not mistaken (i think it only works hybrid with an add-on msi card, but could be wrong on that...so you may wanna check into it).

the 8500gt should run dx9 games no problem if you don't care for the highest settings...but again, the 8600gt is probably much better for anything you would most likely wanna throw at it in the next year or so...assuming dx9 stuff isn't going to fade away or if you like to stick with older games. the thing is, the 8500gt seems to be more aimed at the non-gamer and the 8600gt at the gamer...just check out photos of the two cards and you should see what i mean <_<. If i were choosing this setup, i would go with a hybrid board and an 8600gt...which should set you up for what you seem to wanna do for quite some time. Or better yet, perhaps just a cheaper board and the 8600gt.

sorry, but motherboard shopping isn't an easy thing to do for most and i'm not the most informative on the subject...it took me weeks to find my recent board...rather confusing stuff.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Yes it is (in fact I think I've got a later version, it's whatever I got with the D300 last year), I've uninstalled it recently because it's pretty clunky, more due to poor coding than any inadequacy in my system, other than that it's a useful program if you use Nikon, I'm hoping to so completely overwhelm it with RAM and processor that I can get it to work as smoothly as PS CS3. :-)

Does CS3 require a plugin for Nikon RAW? My dad is trying to get something to process RAW images from his Nikon, but NC4 is a bit pricey apparently.

Does CS3 require a plugin for Nikon RAW? My dad is trying to get something to process RAW images from his Nikon, but NC4 is a bit pricey apparently.

Depends what camera Silverfox, CS3 has a plug in for the D300 files that is downloadable from Adobe (no matter how the software was...erm..purchased), however if he's got a D700 or D90 you will need CS4.

There is a way around this, download the latest version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) which is a free downloadable but stand alone application and process your Raw files with that before importing the resulting TIFF into PS proper. It adds another element to your workflow but hey ho.

If that's too much fiddling about google ToneUp S3 it's a one man effort and very accomplished, it does what Nikon Capture does and a fair bit more besides...costs a tenner and the developer will phone you up if you get really stuck which is quite sweet.

Edited by guzzidom

Ah right okay. He has the D80 ... but I think he will be prepared to pay a tenner for software if it works.

Regarding your new build, if you are doing lots of editing and so forth, the multi-core Intel offerings are quite well priced at the moment - it's a buyer's market at the moment!

Ah right okay. He has the D80 ... but I think he will be prepared to pay a tenner for software if it works.

Regarding your new build, if you are doing lots of editing and so forth, the multi-core Intel offerings are quite well priced at the moment - it's a buyer's market at the moment!

Just download the most recent RAW plug in for CS3, follow the instructions as to where to put it (in Explorer) and remove the previous version, should work a treat, the D80 is fully supported by CS3.

As for the Intel offerings I can only find the E2220 at the same (

ToneUp S3 is worthwhile even if you get CS3 working OK because it allows you to upload custom maps to the camera and will allow you to set your camera to "time lapse" photography, give it a try there's a 21 day free trial before you have to stump up the brownie.