Feeling Rather Blu

Desktop-pro

Whats up fellow OCCers? I have a question for you. I want to go blu. So should I buy a stand alone blu-ray player like the panasonic bd-35k? Or should i buy a PS3? Or should i build a HTPC?

To be honest i know that a HTPC would be the best option but its also the most expensive. Whatever i buy 80% of the time it will be used for blu-ray except a standalone player. I will be using a 42" panasonic plasma 1080p.

There were a few PS3 deals eariler, but they are over now. There was also a $180 standalone, but its gone now.

A HTPC might be a sort of cheap route only if you already have a HD decoder GPU and just need a BD-R drive.

Wait for Black Friday, and see what they have to offer in terms of Blu-Ray Playback. If there is nothing good, get the PS3. It can output up to 7.1 LPCM on HDMI. 5.1 DD/DTS on Optical.

There were a few PS3 deals eariler, but they are over now. There was also a $180 standalone, but its gone now.

A HTPC might be a sort of cheap route only if you already have a HD decoder GPU and just need a BD-R drive.

Wait for Black Friday, and see what they have to offer in terms of Blu-Ray Playback. If there is nothing good, get the PS3. It can output up to 7.1 LPCM on HDMI. 5.1 DD/DTS on Optical.

Ahhh almost forgot about black friday. Its only like 2 weeks away. Ill see what they have then. Also i will be hooking it to a Yamaha rx-665.

Honestly, despite all the existential hype over HD-this, and HD-that it's really nothing special. It's just a really clarified picture that's been scaled to a wider resolution and tightly packed pixels. I make it sound really simple, but I think you'd see where that was headed... :P

After a while it's just another movie experience, the surround sound (if you have such a setup) is a welcomed and much appreciated addition to the clarity, but like I said, after a while it's just another experience.

I suppose I'm so comfortable with it being I've been in the HD experience since the 360.