Downgrading From Vista 64 Bit To Xp 64bit

carinae

Lol that's a joke, on DX10 I have 2x less FPS then DX9.

BTW, no drivers will install for my 9800GX2, only the one on the CD works, even after I reinstalled Vista.

It's instable as ****.

My old PC with an AMD 4200 x2, 7900GT, 2gig RAM was even better then this, I can't even play Crysis Warhead on lowest settings without extreme stuttering while the FPS says 60+ every time I turn around the system has to wait several seconds to load the textures... When I play heavy games my RAM usage is 90% or higher, that's just crazy when I have 4gig RAM.

No discussion here, Vista is going in the bin.

Thanks for the replies btw, I heard alot of stories of XP not liking quadcore or that it only supports 3gig RAM.

Seriously, if you think XP doesn't support quads or >3 GB of RAM, you need a serious re-evaluation.

Instability is not the OS...it's the drivers or your hardware being unstable... :rolleyes:

Who cares about your memory usage while you're gaming? I'd be happy if all the memory was put to use...

I get just about the same performance for DX9 as I do DX10...

And, turn off UAC. It's very easy.

EDIT: Please don't use drivers that come on a CD, they're almost always outdated. Go straight to the chip manufacturer, and get the correct one for your OS.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has to do with a hardware issue than a operating system. It sounds like it your motherboard more than anything else. I would have that check out I think its your northbidge is going bad. If you bought this computer somewhere I would take it back to them and let them figure whats wrong. If you built it you need to rma the board to asus and have them replace it, but I would try to swap out parts to see if something else is doing it. If you don't I would talk with a tech from asus and see what he has to say. The OP loads and run drivers and app. I install vista 64 on a 2.0 single core amd with 1gig of mem. and a 7200 gs Graphic card and it ran find. Vista uses about 20% of mem regard of how much memory you have.

I reread the OP's original postage and subsequent second postage and comment.....I see no mention of him/her, taking to heart the recommendations of others, just complaining....this sounds like a driver or chipset driver issue. I have seen this numerous times with different sites I visit and usually a simple thing is what gets the performance back up to snuff...

I have a few questions, is this a rig built by the OP, built by friend, or is it a retail product like Dell or HP???? My whole body shuddered when I typed Dell and HP......

It would be good to know what kind of experience the OP has, just to make sure communication is not being directed based on perceived experience, or lack thereof.....

I am sure it can be 'fixed', LOL

laterzzz............

1) Re-install vista if you have to, to give you a fresh start

2) Make sure you have SP1

3) Turn off UAC if you find it that annoying (there are plenty of guides on how to do this, google is your friend).

All of the things you have described suggest there is something going on, and I'd bet it isn't Vista just being rubbish (because it isn't).

Read the post, all errors happend before and after reinstalling Vista 64 bit.

My old PC with XP barely crashed or got stuck, my Vista already crashed on my new comp. just a few days after I got it.

@ bld

I put the computersetup together, a friend of mine had built it because i'm not good with CPU's. :D

Temperatures and voltages are fine I don't see how this is a hardware issue.. Everything works good, GPU is fast, CPU is good, power's good, RAMs good.

edit:

Ok stupid of me to forget to tell you this but the drivers of my 9800GX2 DID update some months ago, when I first bought the PC it updated as I wanted, but I think that after an update it failed to update.

Still I don't think this really matters, the 9800GX2 delivers good solid FPS, so the lag i'm having is definatly not FPS lag (nor microstuttering)

edit:

Oh and don't do these 'but I like Vista and it runs fine' posts here, as I don't care about them since they won't improve the performance - if they work for you nice but it isn't really gonna do much good here :P

Thanks

p.s sorry for my rather bad English.

Edited by carinae

Try this, go to nVidia and download the most recent chipset drivers, then get the most current video drivers from nvidia , get driver sweeper uninstall the nvidia chipset drivers, run driver sweeper, then install the chipset drivers. Uninstall the video drivers, run driver sweeper, then install the video drivers. See if that helps.

We're telling you that user error is not a reason to blame an OS for being broken.

Here's what I'd do...

Run memtest86+ (download the iso and make a bootable CD). If it fails a test, tweak your memory settings (read: timings, speed, voltage) until it passes. Run tests #5 and #8 for ten passes each, then all tests for several hours.

If you've failed any test and installed an operating system with those settings, there is no guarantee that it installed correctly. Install again...

Download Prime95 (multithreaded one, 64-bit). Run for a minimum of 12 hours.

Install all your drivers from the chip manufacturers (read: AMD, ATI, nvidia, Intel, whatever). If you are reinstalling drivers, use a program like slick2500 mentioned...I prefer Driver Cleaner Pro. Reboot between uninstalling and reinstalling.

Install more stuff...like games. I would also recommend testing your graphics card with something like Furmark / ATItool.

Read the post, all errors happend before and after reinstalling Vista 64 bit.

My old PC with XP barely crashed or got stuck, my Vista already crashed on my new comp. just a few days after I got it.

This is a new setup with different parts so stop ignoring the possibility of component malfunction or driver error. As you can clearly see from all of those who have posted before me, Vista is an enjoyable OS, nobody else is having troubles, just you. This points more so towards a problem on your end, not Vista's.

But you said yourself you were certain that Vista was the problem here, so why are you asking us and bashing us?

How am I bashing you guys, I simply asked 2 questions and I said Vista sucks with arguments, some other people started whining about stuff and that it works great on their PC.

edit:

Don't tell me others don't have problems with Vista, Vista is a terrible OS and completely ignored by large companies etc. - I thought all that was bull crap but now that I have actually had Vista I agree - its crap.

Edited by carinae

all this bickering...............did you DO the visits to the manu's, obtain the latest drivers, clean up your install with driver cleaner, then report back???

my guess is no......if you are not willing to troubleshoot by investing some time then we can't help you.....

all of the suggestions come from members personal experiences or something they picked up on a BBS somewhere, it ain't rocket science.....

your problem is either hardware related (mems, PS, jeesh, even temperature problems) or some kind driver problem or conflict.............

personally I have chased problems that defied me for days, even weeks, only to find out it was the simplest of problems, unplug the new USB device, walla.......visit website, download latest drivers (as suggested here), walla, no more problems....I only put this out as an example....another example is OS installs, such as you mention, a bad stick on memory (or mems that is not completely compatible with your setup, yes, it happens a lot) can throw you into fits, or a PS that degrading, heck, I can make my CD/DVD whatever fade out when installing winders and maybe stretching the mems a bit too much, so you think it is your CD/DVD whatever when actually it is your mems causing another problem....

again, if you are not willing to do the time trying to resolve the problem it ain't going away, well, in your case, maybe it is if you give up and go to another OS...admittedly, Vista isn't the next coming of Christ, but with some very minor tweaking and 8 gigs of ramski (I run with 64bit)and SP1, it isn't all that bad.....I personally tried Vista several times, even bought a dual DVD kit (32bit and 64bit), tried it, had problems, sold it before I activated it, went back to XP, tried XP 64bit and had problems with drivers for some of the stuff I use, then back to XP 32bit, but then I was PO'd as I wasn't using all of this expensive ram I got, bought another dual 'kit' (this time with separate install keys), tried Vista 64bit several more times, and I can finally say it can be conquered......larges gobs of memory are huge blessings when rendering especially....

and in closing this statement has me a bit worried from your second postage:

"I put the computersetup together, a friend of mine had built it because i'm not good with CPU's.

Temperatures and voltages are fine I don't see how this is a hardware issue.. Everything works good, GPU is fast, CPU is good, power's good, RAMs good"

How did you test the components???? I am assuming from your comments you picked the parts, but a friend did the build because you lack some rig building time (we all started somewhere, no biggie), and you did the original OS install and then subsequent installs, or did your friend do the OS install and you are now having problems???? Knowing this can go a long way on understanding.....

and a complete listing of components in the rig will help, MB, ram, PS, CPU, vid, and any other addon, HD's, running raided or a single drive, etc, be specific ......................

laterzzzzz.........

Edited by bldegle2

How am I bashing you guys, I simply asked 2 questions and I said Vista sucks with arguments, some other people started whining about stuff and that it works great on their PC.

edit:

Don't tell me others don't have problems with Vista, Vista is a terrible OS and completely ignored by large companies etc. - I thought all that was bull crap but now that I have actually had Vista I agree - its crap.

Your arguments suck. There are millions of people out there who have little to no problems with their Vista setups. There were complaints about it when it first came out, but ever since SP1 was released the complaints are few and far between. So millions of people with successfully running rigs vs. you and the few others who have issues. You really telling me that problem lies with Vista and not perhaps another issue such as hardware failure or an idiot user?