Sign in to follow this  
carinae

Downgrading From Vista 64 Bit To Xp 64bit

Couple of months ago I opened a topic on this forum that I had bought a new computer:

Intel Q9450 (stock)

9800GX2 (factoryclocked @ 680MHz core)

4gig OCZ RAM (stock)

Striker II Extreme

500(x2) HDD RAID 0

Vista 64bit

I've had it with Vista, it uses 1.5 gig RAM after a reinstall (and 2gig when i'm done installing my basic programs such as MSN), it's terribly slow, it stutters in every game, it gives me hundreds of bull crap messages of systems such as UAC that I have shut down.

I can't even update my drivers (before AND after fresh install) - there's just no way i'll ever use this operating system again, my PC practicly locked up every day atleast 2 or 3 times while playing games, watching a movie and so on, not to mention that the tools I use such as Radiant (to create levels in the CoD series) don't work correctly, I was lucky to find someone who released a modified version.

This operating system has given me enough hate towards Microsoft...

Don't tell me that DX10 won't work on XP, because DX10 is total ., it lags as **** and the graphical diffirences aren't even noticable (like in Crysis) except that you have twice the performance on DX9.

And Microsoft wonders why nobody likes Vista... Seriously... Windows 7 will be skipped aswell, you can count on that.

So actually i'm UPGRADING to XP 64bit, my question is will this OS support my hardware? (especially the quadcore)

Thanks. :thumbs-up:

Edited by carinae

So actually i'm UPGRADING to XP 64bit, my question is will this OS support my hardware? (especially the quadcore)

Yes. Why shouldn't it?

Regards

Paul

yeah, xp64 will work fine, but the real question is why vista runs so poorly on such a higher end machine. i have vista 64 with 4 gigs of ram and a q6600 and it runs beautifully. you may want to find out why you're having issues as there may be an underlying hardware issue.

yeah, xp64 will work fine, but the real question is why vista runs so poorly on such a higher end machine. i have vista 64 with 4 gigs of ram and a q6600 and it runs beautifully. you may want to find out why you're having issues as there may be an underlying hardware issue.

Clearly he's doing something wrong. Locking up is clearly not how his computer is supposed to work. :lol:

That, and he'll get worse performance with his video card in XP along with missing out on DX10, which adds performance in a few games. :shrug:

Ditto on Vista 64bit smoothness, there is something not right on your setup, heck, I have a system that would be considered low end to your quad (AMD 6400+BE, 8 gig ramski, DFI board, a little clockage), and it runs smooth....

The only thing I can think of is MB drivers and/or maybe a vid card problem with the 'factory clockage', methinks there might be some user error involved....

Upgrading/downgrading to XP64bit will bring its own problems, yes, there is vast support out there, but driver and fix developement was stopped time ago, I found that I got it about 99%, there was one program that had issues, the Manu responded to me that further developement of XP64 drivers had stopped (it is a program I need), so dual boot or go Vista 64bit...

Went the Vista route, you tinker on it a bit, you can get it to work rather well....you need to step back and regroup....

Good luck...

laterzzzz.............

I'd have to agree with the others it just doesn't make sense why you are having problems with vista 64 bit especially on a high end system like yours. Maybe a year ago I'd understand but vista 64 has gotten so much more stable. Going to XP 64 bit would just be down grading because support for drivers and issues is being concentrated on vista know and its likely in the future your going to run into issues.

I've used vista 64 bit since April and hardly had any issues with it.

Make sure you have the latest drivers. It sounds like your configuring something wrong.

fine tooth comb.

What drivers did you install or most importantly....what drivers got an update recently.

are all your voltages and settings in the bios correct or conflicting?

MY wife's XP 32 notebook was throwing fits like it was viral. I couldn't understand anything about what was going on as it was intermittently freezing for a few minutes and then working for a few seconds and then all over again. I was pulling my hair out. In the end the HP printer software wanted to update and we clicked 'yes go update yourself' and thats what caused the problem. a self updated driver. took out the printer software and it worked beautifully after that. no need to reinstall XP. just reinstalled the printer software and vowed to never update it as it works just fine the way it is stock after install. its changing things after the install that did it.

so possibly check your drivers and updates/backdates/3rd party drivers for issues. i hear from many friends that vista64 and 8 gigs is solid. my vista notebook is 4 gigs and have had no problems in a year of ownership. The whole hooplah about vista being a diseased mess on mac commercials was all from the cheap stripped down 32bit versions trying to be run on systems with no driver support from cheap parts.

good luck. I hope you find the problem. XP64 as stated before is not supported anymore by MS, as well as most part manufacturers. expect no updates for that.

Lol that's a joke, on DX10 I have 2x less FPS then DX9.

BTW, no drivers will install for my 9800GX2, only the one on the CD works, even after I reinstalled Vista.

It's instable as ****.

My old PC with an AMD 4200 x2, 7900GT, 2gig RAM was even better then this, I can't even play Crysis Warhead on lowest settings without extreme stuttering while the FPS says 60+ every time I turn around the system has to wait several seconds to load the textures... When I play heavy games my RAM usage is 90% or higher, that's just crazy when I have 4gig RAM.

No discussion here, Vista is going in the bin.

Thanks for the replies btw, I heard alot of stories of XP not liking quadcore or that it only supports 3gig RAM.

BTW, no drivers will install for my 9800GX2, only the one on the CD works, even after I reinstalled Vista.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia for your card?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_178.24_whql.html

Have you tried to format and re-install vista more then once?

Have you install all the latest updates for vista including service pack 1?

vista barely works for my too but the difference is i got a free copy and i only play games with the OS. if you do to anything else Xp is the better choice, heck its even better for gaming because DX10 is just marketing.

to answer your question that system will run flawlessly on it and even higher fps.

1) Re-install vista if you have to, to give you a fresh start

2) Make sure you have SP1

3) Turn off UAC if you find it that annoying (there are plenty of guides on how to do this, google is your friend).

All of the things you have described suggest there is something going on, and I'd bet it isn't Vista just being rubbish (because it isn't).

Edited by jammin