markiemrboo

Dslr Sensor Cleaning

Only dust that I have had to clean is just blowing the mirror a few times. Sensor is spotless. =) .... for now =(

the d40 does have the lock i just never figured it out, havent had the need to yet, but I do know that it is an option.

The D40 will lock open (look in the manual) but you're right, you have to make sure your battery is charged first, as for cleaning the sensor, not only has no one on here ever done it but chances are no one ever will, the only cameras to have exposed sensors are the Sigma DSLR's because their low pass filter is screwed into the throat of the body.

All you are cleaning is the IR low pass filter that is bonded over the sensor, this is made of fairly hard glass, much like any filter and though damaging it would be pretty fatal it's thankfully pretty hard to do, most people who think they've scratched it either have a thread or a smear there.

Pec pads and eclipse fluid are the way to go if you can't blast the dust bunnies off with a rocket blower, thankfully I haven't had too much grief with my Nikon D300, the anti-dust feature seems to work quite well but I regularly cleaned my D50's.

Couple of tips, always change lenses with the camera switched off, if it's live the static attracts dust like anything, and never ever clean the mirror, unlike your home mirror it's "front silvered" ie the reflective part is on the surface not behind the glass and the silver just rubs straight off.

Pah. Cleaned my D80 mirror just fine a couple of days a go, despite reading the same thing you just said all over the internets :)

I must admit, I did the same with some of my old film SLR's before I realised how fragile they were (I made one quite cloudy and dark using lens cleaning solution), I didn't it again.

So you have the advice of a photographer with 25 years experience

You however, may feel free to scrub yours with T cut if you so wish :-)

Edited by guzzidom

That's fair enough, and I don't doubt the silver did rub off on those old film SLR's of yours.... but from what I have read it's not usually Silver that's used any more, rather Aluminium coupled with a very very thin quartz overlay, and it's also apparently "annealed".

I shall certainly continue to clean it when necessary ;) Which I hope will be once every blue moon, I mean... it's not overly important really. It's just that the dirt that *was* there, on both the mirror and sensor, was there from day one. Now it's gone. And I am happy :D

Oh, and all I used to clean it was PEC-PAD + Eclipse E2, same as the sensor, but with very light [almost no] pressure :) Worked a treat for me!

Remember too that the grime on the mirror doesn't get in the picture, it's just an irritation in the viewfinder. I know one (lady as it happens) who looked through her new D80's viewfinder only to find a dead spider staring at her, small one admittedly but big enough at that range.