markiemrboo

Dslr Sensor Cleaning

Before:

dustbeforekc5.th.jpg

After:

dustafterjl9.th.jpg

There's a couple of small barely noticable spec's, but it's muuuuuuuch better now.

Tried a rocket blower thing, and that did absolutely sod all (probably made it worse to be honest). So that's the result with eclipse fluid and digipads. I don't get what all the worry is about really? It really wasn't overly difficult. The only annoying thing with these particular pads is that strands of the cloth came loose at the edges. The blower did seem to manage to sort that out though... after, err, much more than a few swipes if I am honest (but I got there in the end, clearly)!! I now have some plastic handle things from these used swabs, so I will probably buy some pec*pads and use those in the future. They seem cheap enough.

So there you go. Quit hesitating and do it I reckon! :)

Oh boy there is a huge difference!

I don't have a DSLR, but seeing these results, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it sensor!

lol yes yes. That was with my few week old D80. I think it was like that from day one, but I only just figured how to get it to show after reading on the interwebs :D

I did take it back to Jessops, and they exchanged it without any questions, which was really good. I'm quite glad I bought it from there now. However, I got home with the new one, took a few pictures and there was a nice red blob on every single picture, in exactly the same place, even at ISO 100, 1/100 sec! So I went all the way back (very annoyed), they exchanged it for the last one they had in stock and we took a few pictures there to make sure. The same red blob, in what seemed to be roughly the same place!! They must have had a bad batch or something I guess. The serial numbers for both were older than this one. I just said I will take my old one back and try and clean the dust of myself. A little disappointed I got so much dust 'for free', but I guess I would have had to have cleaned it eventually anyway :)

So yes, that's how great my really luck is you see :lol:

Yeah, that's why I bought my Sony from them, in case anything went to hell... however I recently realised that Warehouse Express is based in the city, so I'll probably get my next one from there.

I cleaned the sensor on mine only once, as I didn't swap the lens about much (I only actually owned one lens :P) but It's good to hear you've had such success :)

Yeah. I actually got the cleaning stuff from Warehouse Express. They seem good enough too. I've not been to the store though. Jessops is also easy for me to get to (hoorah for park and ride :D), and for the D80 they were actually the cheapest I could find too.

How did you find the Sony? Mr Liam sat opposite me apparently has his eye on a A200, but then I dont think he's 100% sure he actually wants a DSLR yet :D

Well, I really liked my A100, and the A200 is the tweaked, souped up version. It's definitely the best value DSLR about (

Guest ajmatson
Well, I really liked my A100, and the A200 is the tweaked, souped up version. It's definitely the best value DSLR about (

The only fear I have about cleaning the sensor in my D40 is I cant figure out how to get the shutter to lock open and even if I do my fear is the battery will die and the mirror will close and break when Im in there.

Luckily I dont need to clean my sensor just yet, hopefully ever.

I didn't realise the Sony ones were new new new :) Perhaps I will tag along with him to the shops if he decides he wants one. No doubt I'll end up buying more stuff myself if I do that though :D

Archerzz.... on my D80, to get to the mirror lockup option I think I had to enable the full menu first. Mine will also not let you lock it up unless there's full (or very near full) battery, and, well, it would be a silly idea to do it on low battery any way now wouldn't it, so I am not completely sure why you're worried about that :lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry to much about it if you ever need to do it. It's really just not difficult *at all*. If something could go terribly wrong, it would have happened to me (as you all should know by now, I have incredibly bad luck)... and I got on just fine :P

Even if you don't ever change the lens, dust can still get in, so.... you may have to at some point :P

The only fear I have about cleaning the sensor in my D40 is I cant figure out how to get the shutter to lock open and even if I do my fear is the battery will die and the mirror will close and break when Im in there.

Luckily I dont need to clean my sensor just yet, hopefully ever.

Usually a custom firmware will unlock a lot of "hidden" or rather, disabled features. Have a look around - I know this was the case for the 300D Canon, as a bunch of features could be unlocked to make it a lot closer to the 350D.

Only dust that I have had to clean is just blowing the mirror a few times. Sensor is spotless. =) .... for now =(

the d40 does have the lock i just never figured it out, havent had the need to yet, but I do know that it is an option.