aean

Desktop Items Not Working. Not Even In Start Menu

Recently, my pc has begun acting VERY funny. i've had problems in the past, but was able to fix them some way or another. however, one day, after defragging my drives and re-booting, the desktop wallpaper loaded up, making me believe all was fine. But, after about 45 minutess of watching the wallpaper, I realised something was wrong. I was able to call up Task manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del and was even able to run my copy of System Mechanic, which told me eveything was fine. After much fiddling around with, I decided to re-install windows. (this is after messing around from 9am to about 3am). All booted fine. When I began installing my previous programmes (that ran fine until now) i began to have the same issue. I did a second re-install. All working now, but ow some of my icons and programmes refuse to run. I can't even install others from the CD, like Nero.

At this point, I've pretty much given up and I'm thinking the hard drive is dyingProxy-Connection: keep-alive

Cache-Control: max-age=0

I don't even remember where I go the drive from, but I'm sure it's used. A few months back, I upgraded my m/, but this problem happened like two days ago. I'm planning on buying a new pc.

Any suggestions?

Have you tried to run a sector scan on the drive? If you're having trouble installing apps, you can download this portable disc scanner and run it right out of the file.

I did a disk check with system mechanic and defragged when it said I should I just downloaded the scanner you mentioned and i'll give it a go.

however, I did a virus scan and discovered that 90% of my pc is infected with a w32 virus. I'm currently doing a s full scan to try and get rid of it. I don't know if that's what's caused the problem.

i'll still do the scan and put the software in my collection of helpful programs.

thanks!

confused a bit here, you stated that you have done a 'clean' install several times, but with the most recent postage you alluded to a w32 viri? do you have other HDs attached to your system, and exactly what is on those drives (maybe like a general download folder?) .......

don't keep spinning your wheels in the mud, clean up the viri first on the other drives right now, then DISCONNECT them, and then do another clean install with your main HD....BTW, is your main HD partitioned with the OS on one partition and data on another????? if that is the case and the unit hasn't been cleaned up of viri, you can load and reload the OS until the pigs come homey on your clean OS partition.............

have you run a diagnostic on the HD? (get the proggie from the HD manu) that would be the first thing I would do, it is a place to start and at least would tell you whether to waste anymore time with the HD in question....sometimes HD's get confused and a 'zero fill' sequence can bring them back to life, I have done this more than once.....

just some ideas to chew on, good luck....

laterzzzz..............

Sorry about that.

My first guess was that my HD was going up. I'd pretty much considered myself impervious to viruses. On a whim, I did a virus scan and discovered the w32 Virut. I did some research on it discovered it attacked .sr and .exe files. I'm guessing that's why some of my files decided not to work. SOOO....I removed the virus which had pretty much eaten my ENTIRE computer, even system files. I've been doing scans all weekend because it has been found on a second pc as well. I'm about to scan a third.

On my main pc, I have three drives: C: I use for windows installation, D: I used for programs, E & F: Are actually one drive with two partitions which I use for files and downloads. I'm getting ready to install Fedora Core 9 on the D drive to begin my slow departure from windows.

I just did a windows repair after clearing the virus, but only long enough to back some important files before I just do a fresh install. I had to repair because I couldn't even access the control panel. I got hit pretty bad, though this is supposed to be a low threat bugger! Things are up and running now. But, a few more scans and a fresh install and I think I'll be ok.

My initial panic was this my HD was dying. I kind of wish that were the case. Just by a new HD, reinstall programmes and you're done.

I heard of the zero fill sequence, but have no idea what it is.

Thanks for your help and advice!!