Chieftec Psus ?

Hi, I just found a nice offer for a Chieftec 650 W PSU (4 x 12 V rails @ 18 A).

I'm just wondering: Is Chieftec a good company? Can I trust their products? Has anyone else tried their PSU/products?

I never heard of Chieftec until recently. I just hope this isn't some cheap company.

Can't find much information about Cheiftec power supplies on the internet which is usually, but not always, a bad sign.

So can't really give an opinion needless to say I personally wouldn't buy one.

Not much help now I know!

Regards

Paul

Here's the page on the PSU. It's the 650 model : http://www.chieftec.com/super-power.html Maybe someone can tell me if it's good or not.

The specification is pretty standard but manufacturers can claim anything they like really. The only way to know for sure is to test one but I can't find any reviews on the internet so it's hard to give an informed opinion, so I won't.

All I will say, which I touched on previously, is do your research first and if you can't find any reliable information (reviews, user comments, forum questions, etc.) on a product don't buy it.

Cheers

Paul

Almost certainly a CWT PSH unit from the info that's there (and the appearance).

Thermaltake's Toughpower line uses the same platform (well in that power range anyway).

In which case I would expect it to be at least reasonably decent. It will depend on a bit on internal component choices Chieftec have made though.

The bottom line is that it's unproven so it's hard to give a definite nod in either direction.

Edited by jammin

Do you think I should use this one, the TT TR2 550 W or just send it back ?

I would expect the Thermaltake TR2 to be less adequate than the Chieftec power supply, solely by looking at the specs from newegg.

Although that is my opinion since I prefer units exceeding more than 20A on a +12V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153059

The Chieftec PSUs are made by either Channel Well or Wintech according to JonnyGURUs OEM database. They really can't be THAT bad, but not top notch either, but definitely better than a Thermaltake TR2. Thermaltake PSUs worth looking at really only start with the Toughpower line.

Just keep the power supply. Like king said its cant be that bad. At least its not some "unknown" brand per se.

Im sure it has some good build quality in it if its made by Channel Well (if)