Partial Power With Power But No Power

So i am having some issues with a computer. First it would not turn on no matter what i did. i figured it was the PSU so i tried to turn it on using the green to black wire trick. Well it did nothing so i know its dead. So i replaced the PSU and thats when it got tricky. First as soon as i plug it in it turns on(without touching the power button) BUT it does not do anything. It's like it does not know it is on. The power led stays off and the HDD led stays on. The power button does nothing. I have checked all the wiring and its all good. So i figure its the motherboard. What do think?

photo-7351.gif?__rand=0.12122200%201225830597

So i am having some issues with a computer. First it would not turn on no matter what i did. i figured it was the PSU so i tried to turn it on using the green to black wire trick. Well it did nothing so i know its dead.

Just because the "green to black wire trick" does not work do not presume the power supply is dead. A small minority of power supplies require a minimum load to be present before they fire up. What is the power supply make and model?

Sounds like it could be the motherboard or a short has developed somewhere. Disconnect all other devices to the motherboard but leave the power supply connected. How does it behave now?

Try it out of case.

Regards

Paul

Just because the "green to black wire trick" does not work do not presume the power supply is dead. A small minority of power supplies require a minimum load to be present before they fire up. What is the power supply make and model?

Sounds like it could be the motherboard or a short has developed somewhere. Disconnect all other devices to the motherboard but leave the power supply connected. How does it behave now?

Try it out of case.

Regards

Paul

The original PSU is a Bestec model atx-250-12e. Its an emachines computer about five years old. The PSU i put in is a crappy Raidmax rd-350w. Should i put the Bestec PSU back in? When you mean disconnect all devices do you mean pci cards to? I turned it on with everything disconnected except the motherboard and it did the same thing.

Edited by Desktop-pro

The original PSU is a Bestec model atx-250-12e. Its an emachines computer about five years old. The PSU i put in is a crappy Raidmax rd-350w. Should i put the Bestec PSU back in? When you mean disconnect all devices do you mean pci cards to? I turned it on with everything disconnected except the motherboard and it did the same thing.

Motherboard, CPU, graphics card, if not onboard and one stick of memory out of case with the Raidmax 350W power supply. (If you are confident it works OK). How does it behave. I realise it's an emachine but have you put any extra load on that original 250W power supply?

Regards

Paul

Motherboard, CPU, graphics card, if not onboard and one stick of memory out of case with the Raidmax 350W power supply. (If you are confident it works OK). How does it behave. I realise it's an emachine but have you put any extra load on that original 250W power supply?

Regards

Paul

So i tried it with everything disconnected pci cards and all. Still the same. As far as i know there been no extra load. here are the specs.

cpu: athlon xp 2000

motherboard: Biostar m7viz (replaced the original about 2 years ago)

gpu: ati x1300 pro agp 8x 256mb

HDD: maxtor 80gb

ram: samsung ddr 512mb (dont know speed)

So i tried it with everything disconnected pci cards and all. Still the same. As far as i know there been no extra load. here are the specs.

cpu: athlon xp 2000

motherboard: Biostar m7viz (replaced the original about 2 years ago)

gpu: ati x1300 pro agp 8x 256mb

HDD: maxtor 80gb

ram: samsung ddr 512mb (dont know speed)

You need to try it out of the case just to be sure but it sounds very much like your motherboard has died.

Cheers

Paul

Just tried it out of the case. Did the same thing. Looks like its time for a new mobo.

Have you another PSU or one you can borrow just be sure or perhaps it's time for an upgrade anyway. ;)

Regards

Paul

Have you another PSU or one you can borrow just be sure or perhaps it's time for an upgrade anyway. ;)

Regards

Paul

Saddly i dont have another PSU. Also its not my computer and they dont want to upgrade just yet. Thanks for all the help. Peace.

Edited by Desktop-pro