Voltage Confusion - Please Help If You Can...

Snaggly Pete

1. I know that voltage affects temperature, but can you assume that a particular voltage is safe if the temperatures are fairly low, say below 50C? Or are there other factors that determine whether a voltage is harmful to your computer (i.e. the temps look good, but the voltage is still damaging the system)?

2. Looking at my specs in my sig, can anyone tell me roughly what voltage settings in BIOS would be safe for my NB, SB, and VTT? I know the manufacturer recommended voltages for my CPU and RAM, but I've searched google and I'm having a hard time finding out what NB, SB, and VTT voltages are considered safe.

3. Are there any monitoring programs that tell you specifically what the NB, SB, and VTT voltages are? Right now, I'm using SpeedFan, but it seems to only tell me the voltages for the CPU, RAM, and "chipset" (?a combo of NB and SB), it does not specifically mention the NB, SB, or VTT voltages.

4. Does anyone know the stock VTT for the MSI P6N Sli-fi? The BIOS is kind of weird and for VTT it only gives percentages ranging from 0% to 20%. I'm assuming that this means 0% to 20% over stock, but not knowing the stock VTT makes this sort of worthless.

Thanks for any help provided.

1. It is possible to run too high of a voltage through your chip and still have the temps look okay... they say that for the 65nm processors like yours somewhere around the 1.50v mark is what you should stay under voltage wise when running 24/7 (ie. running higher than that for 20 minutes probably won't cause serious harm, as long as temps don't get too out of hand.

2. No. online people barely even talk about "max safe" voltages for CPU, i don't think you'll find any of those anywhere, but keep looking, i guess its technically possible to find it.

3. i know that ASUS has the pcprobeII which sux at temperatures but is pretty good with voltages (NB and CPU) but i highly doubt it would work on your board. i say check MSI''s website and see if they have any monitoring programs.

4. i don't, sorry. there again, see if you can get a hold (1 word?) of tech support at MSI and ask around there. I agree, I hate the boards that only give + or - from stock on voltages and stuff, it makes for poor overclocking options.

Edited by turophiliac

1. It is possible to run too high of a voltage through your chip and still have the temps look okay... they say that for the 65nm processors like yours somewhere around the 1.50v mark is what you should stay under voltage wise when running 24/7 (ie. running higher than that for 20 minutes probably won't cause serious harm, as long as temps don't get too out of hand.

2. No. online people barely even talk about "max safe" voltages for CPU, i don't think you'll find any of those anywhere, but keep looking, i guess its technically possible to find it.

3. i know that ASUS has the pcprobeII which sux at temperatures but is pretty good with voltages (NB and CPU) but i highly doubt it would work on your board. i say check MSI''s website and see if they have any monitoring programs.

4. i don't, sorry. there again, see if you can get a hold (1 word?) of tech support at MSI and ask around there. I agree, I hate the boards that only give + or - from stock on voltages and stuff, it makes for poor overclocking options.

Thanks for the help. My temps and my CPU and memory voltages look good, but I'm just concerned about the NB (1.3v) , SB (1.65v), and VTT (16%) voltages being too high. Perhaps I'll send an email to MSI for help since I can't seem to find this info on my google searchs.

for comparison, my NB voltage is 1.38v, i had to put it up from 1.34ish to get my overclock, so you are in the ballpark on that one. that VTT though, i'd be a little worried about that. i think you are only supposed to increase that one very slightly for a bigger overclock, but don't quote me on that, i'm not an expert.i've also heard a little bit about the SB voltage and1.65v seems very reasonable.

for comparison, my NB voltage is 1.38v, i had to put it up from 1.34ish to get my overclock, so you are in the ballpark on that one. that VTT though, i'd be a little worried about that. i think you are only supposed to increase that one very slightly for a bigger overclock, but don't quote me on that, i'm not an expert.i've also heard a little bit about the SB voltage and1.65v seems very reasonable.

Yep I'm worried about the VTT too, mostly because I don't understand how it works on my board, how to monitor it, or what is normal. From what I've learned today though, the default VTT appears to be 1.20v, so that if I increase mine by 16%, then it is 1.39 v. In looking at some Intel technical documents here , the maximum acceptable VTT seems to be 1.55v for a 65nm chip like mine, for 45 nm chips it's 1.45 v. Still, I'd like to see if I can come down on it some more.

1. I know that voltage affects temperature, but can you assume that a particular voltage is safe if the temperatures are fairly low, say below 50C? Or are there other factors that determine whether a voltage is harmful to your computer (i.e. the temps look good, but the voltage is still damaging the system)?

2. Looking at my specs in my sig, can anyone tell me roughly what voltage settings in BIOS would be safe for my NB, SB, and VTT? I know the manufacturer recommended voltages for my CPU and RAM, but I've searched google and I'm having a hard time finding out what NB, SB, and VTT voltages are considered safe.

3. Are there any monitoring programs that tell you specifically what the NB, SB, and VTT voltages are? Right now, I'm using SpeedFan, but it seems to only tell me the voltages for the CPU, RAM, and "chipset" (?a combo of NB and SB), it does not specifically mention the NB, SB, or VTT voltages.

4. Does anyone know the stock VTT for the MSI P6N Sli-fi? The BIOS is kind of weird and for VTT it only gives percentages ranging from 0% to 20%. I'm assuming that this means 0% to 20% over stock, but not knowing the stock VTT makes this sort of worthless.

Thanks for any help provided.

Hi,

1. Yes over voltage can destroy a cpu although to do that you have to be on phase change cooling, your temps will get too high on air, even on water

2. For the voltage look at this link tells you all the reccomened specs for your cpu straight from intel http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4T

Hope this helps

Hi,

1. Yes over voltage can destroy a cpu although to do that you have to be on phase change cooling, your temps will get too high on air, even on water

2. For the voltage look at this link tells you all the reccomened specs for your cpu straight from intel http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4T

Hope this helps

#1 is interesting. i'm pretty sure that a processor is can be very much destroyed by setting voltages too high, and phase change coolers would be the first ones to do that, but i think the bigger question is how long can such and such processor be at such and such voltage before it dies? what you stated is very true on a limited timeline, but what about setting a voltage just a little too high and leaving it there?

#2 is not of interest to most people on this board, as we are overclockers, and the point of what we do is to go above and beyond Intel/AMD specs. and besides, the processor finder doesn't list safe vtt voltages, which is what Snaggly is looking for

#1 is interesting. i'm pretty sure that a processor is can be very much destroyed by setting voltages too high, and phase change coolers would be the first ones to do that, but i think the bigger question is how long can such and such processor be at such and such voltage before it dies? what you stated is very true on a limited timeline, but what about setting a voltage just a little too high and leaving it there?

#2 is not of interest to most people on this board, as we are overclockers, and the point of what we do is to go above and beyond Intel/AMD specs. and besides, the processor finder doesn't list safe vtt voltages, which is what Snaggly is looking for

Hi,

1. As you know amping voltages up decreases cpu life dramatically. As for the cpu life, you can only guess. But if your after everyday use its not worth .3v for an extra 400mhz, u just wont notice it. If you wanted me to guess id say 2 years if your lucky.

2.Have a look at this guy with the cpu so say 1.6v is safe but it will burn up your cpu life so quick, but thats a strecthed oc

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...8&postcount=81 <- [email protected] 1.62v :thumbs-up:

Hope i answered your question for the 1st question i cant really answer that. :unsure:

my questions in #1 were meant to be rhetorical, they are the questions everybody here asks, but nobody can give the answer to because there are so many different variables that influence it. ur link is broken btw. but yeah, most people know not to put 1.6v through any processor, if you want to have any longevity. whatever, this thread is getting off track, Sorry Snaggly.

my questions in #1 were meant to be rhetorical, they are the questions everybody here asks, but nobody can give the answer to because there are so many different variables that influence it. ur link is broken btw. but yeah, most people know not to put 1.6v through any processor, if you want to have any longevity. whatever, this thread is getting off track, Sorry Snaggly.

1. It was??? :rolleyes:

2. Yeh we got off track so easy :rolleyes:

Well, I did some searching and came across this document from Intel : here . From what I can tell, pages 20 and 21 seem to suggest that my default VTT would be 1.20v and that the maximum VTT should not exceed 1.55v (By the way, I found a similar Intel document for 45 nm cpus and the maximum VTT was listed as 1.45v). So, I guess with the 16% that my P6N Sli-Fi board provides for VTT that means that my actual VTT is 1.39v. This makes me feel a little bit better that my VTT is okay, but I'll still try to bring it down a few notches.