Psu Emiting Continuous High-pitched Sound

Hi, I have a little problem with my PSU.

I might be paranoid but my PSU is definately emitting a high-pitched continuous sound when the computer is on.

It's a Thermaltake TR2 550W ATX 12V 2.0

The computer is an Asus P5E3 Premium, E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz, 2 GB DDR3 1800 Mhz, 9800 GTX, WD 640 GB

I've tried all sorts of PSU 'calculators' and all say that I need a PSU well below 550 W (between 300 and 500) so power is not an issue.

I've had this PSU for about 8 months and never had a problem with it, overclocking went perfect with it. It may have had this sound before but I only noticed it recently while testing out some fans.

Here are the specs:

+3.3 V - 30A

+5V - 28A

+12V1 - 14A (max load) , 16A (peak load)

+12V2 - 15A

-12V - 0.3A

+5VSB - 2A

This sound isn't coming from the fan as it starts as soon as the computer is started, with the sound of the cooler spining-up in the background.

Another interesting fact is that after the computer starts, and with it the sound, it stops at the boot splash screen and after the image finished it's appearance, the sound starts again and never goes off from that point on.

I've recorded this strange sound. Maybe it'll help:

http://www.soundupload.com/audio/fe5mrlez3ogvz4jw - original recording without filtering

http://www.soundupload.com/audio/mvune4yaqyiug995 - filtered background noise to hear only fan and strange sound

http://www.soundupload.com/audio/03qjf0902ugcauyl - filtered background and fan to hear only strange noise

Be sure to turn up the volume, it may not be heard, it's quite high pitched.

So is it normal for a PSU to emit such a sound or am I just damned paranoid?

Thanks

Ive got an Antec PSU that does this. Its always worked fine but Ive replaced it because the sound drove me nuts and I didnt want to risk anything. The first thing I would expect is a coil vibrating, or maybe a capacitor on its deathbed? You can fix the vibrating coil by putting some hot glue on it but opening up the PSU can be dangerous.

Hey, welcome to the forum;

my ocz stealthxstream makes a high pitched sound. I think some psu's just do...wouldn't worry about it, but you may wanna get a headset if it bothers you. Not thinking about it helps too.

Please don't open that psu, capacitors are known for holding dangerous charges even when unplugged and powered off!

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Thanks

Yeah, still, even if my PSU says it has over-voltage, over-current and short-circuit protection, how much should I trust this ?

If something horrific happens, what's the risk of the damned thing frying my components?

Btw, I use a surge protector strip between my computer and the wall socket if that makes any difference.

Edited by kollapse

If it's still under warranty, maybe you should call the manufacturer and ask about it. They should be able to tell you if it's safe or not, and exactly what you can do...you may need to send it in for a replacement.

Again though, some psu's just make this annoying sound.

Sometimes components fail, even the best of them.

Again, this is probably nothing to worry about. But if you don't feel like risking the rest of your rig, calling the manufacturer for reassurance would probably be best. Plus if you have a psu you can stick in there in the worst case scenario that you have to send it in for a replacement then it could be worse.