Ddr3-1333/1600 Over Ddr2 1066 Ram

im currently running 3GB of DDR2-800 Ram.....and am planning for an upgrade. Is it worth paying the extra cash and buying DDR3 1333/1600 which also have higher latencies or should i just upgrade to 4GB of DDR2 1066/1200 Ram. I mean will i get a lot more frames per second in games if i get DDR3 ram instead of DDR2? Help appreciated

im currently running 3GB of DDR2-800 Ram.....and am planning for an upgrade. Is it worth paying the extra cash and buying DDR3 1333/1600 which also have higher latencies or should i just upgrade to 4GB of DDR2 1066/1200 Ram. I mean will i get a lot more frames per second in games if i get DDR3 ram instead of DDR2? Help appreciated

You would need a new motherboard for DDR3 or anything above DDR2-800 if it's the one in your signature!

What is your operating system?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

You would need a new motherboard for DDR3 or anything above DDR2-800 if it's the one in your signature!

Cheers

Paul

That's not true Paul. The board officially only supports DDR2-800 (I think that's what you're refering to), but that does not mean that DDR2-1066 won't work on it. You only have to set it to run at 1066 speeds manually :)

On topic: In your situation, there is really not much point upgrading the RAM. The 1066 RAM compared to the 800 will not gain you any more FPS in games, it will only give you some more memory bandwidth.

If there's anything I'd upgrade in your rig, it'd be the PSU! Fortex is a no-name brand nobody ever heard of, which means that 99% of the times the PSU is crap. A good 450W PSU will power that rig with ease, for example this Antec Earthwatts 500W for 50 bucks is a good deal :)

That's not true Paul. The board officially only supports DDR2-800 (I think that's what you're refering to), but that does not mean that DDR2-1066 won't work on it. You only have to set it to run at 1066 speeds manually :)

Sorry! Are you saying DDR2-1066 will definately work or might work?

Cheers

Paul

Cheers

Paul

I thought i could use DDR2 1066 even if its not officially supported..............damn :angry: Eventhough will i see i real gain in FPS by upgrading to the far more expensive DDR3 Ram

If there's anything I'd upgrade in your rig, it'd be the PSU! Fortex is a no-name brand nobody ever heard of, which means that 99% of the times the PSU is crap. A good 450W PSU will power that rig with ease, for example this Antec Earthwatts 500W for 50 bucks is a good deal :)

Yeah i know the PSU is real crap but so far it running ok with my decently configured system. So i'l change if i get another 9800GT