Potential Of 9800se..

Ok depending upon the layout and the memory interface you can get a 9800 se and soft mod it to a 9800pro or np... Also since the most common is the I-shaped meomry and center fdd connector can be soft modded into a 9500pro.. which is better a 9800se or 9500pro??

Edited by Xtreme21

I'd go 9500 pro...at least you're guaranteed the 8 pixel pipes that way. Then get better cooling and oc the hell out of it. The 256-bit memory on the 9800se is attractive, but it's lower fill rate will really handicap it. Also, because each pixel pipe has a pixel shader unit on it, the 9800se will have much lower pixel shader performance than the 8-piped 9500 pro. Overall, I just think that the 9800se was crippled too much by losing those 4 pipes...if you're gonna go 4 pipes, get a 9600xt.

Well actually theres a modded 9800se-->9800pro driver thats unlocks the other 4 pipes, 80% chance to work, 30% chance that the 8 pipes will be working in order.. And if you do get lucky you'll have a kick . card that runns 5% slower then the 9800 pro... I think i'll take my chances...

Edited by Xtreme21

Well actually theres a modded 9800se-->9800pro driver thats unlocks the other 4 pipes, 80% chance to work, 30% chance that the 8 pipes will be working in order.. And if you do get lucky you'll have a kick . card that runns 5% slower then the 9800 pro... I think i'll take my chances...

And that 5% can be over comed by overclocking.

Only reason there are "SE" cards is because 4 of the 8 pipes failed their test. Now, that's not saying EVERY card failed. I don't know if I would trust it. The BEST thing to do is would be to get a cheap PCI card. So if your updating the BIOS on the 9800SE and it doesn't work, you still have working video card to get that 9800SE back to original BIOS.