Sign in to follow this  
FunkyMonkey

Widescreen To 4:3 Tv

i have a widescreen monitor and my video card is set up at 1680x1050. i have my 4:3 tv hooked up with a s-cable to my video card

this is where the issue begins. as expected the widescreen cant be fully displayed on the 4:3 tv. only a portion is displayed on the tv and i can move the center of the screen around with the mouse.

is there a way i can display bars on the top and bottom of the tv so i get the whole screen displayed on the tv?

Thanks

i have a widescreen monitor and my video card is set up at 1680x1050. i have my 4:3 tv hooked up with a s-cable to my video card

this is where the issue begins. as expected the widescreen cant be fully displayed on the 4:3 tv. only a portion is displayed on the tv and i can move the center of the screen around with the mouse.

is there a way i can display bars on the top and bottom of the tv so i get the whole screen displayed on the tv?

Thanks

.... and the make of your TV is a ....?

Cheers

Paul

I'm assuming you have it set so that the TV mirrors what is on your monitor? If so, then you'll have more luck if you set the TV up as a secondary monitor where you can independently set the resolution to something will fit better.

the tv is currently setup as a secondary monitor with a resolution of 800x600 but i still get the same problem

if i set my monitor to a 4:3 resolution it works but it looks like . on the monitor

Edited by FunkyMonkey

the tv is currently setup as a secondary monitor with a resolution of 800x600 but i still get the same problem

if i set my monitor to a 4:3 resolution it works but it looks like . on the monitor

The aspect ratio should be independent of the monitor/tv.

i might have misunderstood the problem

i originally thought the aspect ratio was 16:9 when i was seeing it on the tv but it is in fact 4:3, okay so thats good

but the entire screen cant be displayed on the tv and i dont know why

i have to move to mouse to pan to the other side to get the rest of the picture

this doesnt work well for movies or videos because i can only see 80% of the picture

Sounds like either a resolution issue or some setting that needs to be changed. Try giving 640x480 a try instead of 800x600

You're in clone mode (duplicated desktops) instead of desktop extension (independent desktops)

You can't mirror/clone a different resolution on a TV without scrolling

Why do you want to mirror the desktop? If you want to watch movies on the TV, or play games on the TV, then use desktop extension (or ATI Displays control panel, or HydraVision) and ...

you have to either set the TV to primary for video/3D

OR

use apps/games that let you choose the monitor (e.g. Media Player Classic automatically switches the full screen display device to the one that has the MPC window)

Aren't SDTV's 480i? That's 720x480, right? It still sounds like your computer is compensating for a resolution greater than one the TV can handle. The two displays should be set up independently to achieve the results you want.

Aren't SDTV's 480i? That's 720x480, right? It still sounds like your computer is compensating for a resolution greater than one the TV can handle.

IIRC, the TV output works by converting a 800x600 (or 640x480, or 1024x768) signal to PAL or NTSC with the TV encoder chip on the graphics card, so the output resolution is somewhat irrelevant as the TV encoder does the scaling.

The problem here is cloning at two different resolutions / aspects. Even if you did this with two monitors, the same panning "problem" would exist if you use clone mode.