Help Overclocking Amd Phenom X4 9950

anthony0131

Hi i have been reading these forums and before i try to overclock or buy any new components i thought i should ask for some help first

system set up

processor amd phenom x4 9950

motherboard alivenf7g

memory 4gig pc5300

gfx nvidia 8800gts 512 oc edition

case antec twelvehundred

psu 650watt

atm im getting 3175.4 mhz with 1.320v temp 41c

i was thinking of upgrading my motherboard and memory so i could use the am2+ feature but got confused any help would be :)

Edited by anthony0131

First off, Welcome to the Club. :thumbs-up:

Secondly, I wouldn't expect more from the 9950 than what you've already gotten, which by the way is a pretty damn good result considering most I've seen top out at 3.013 or 3.07GHz.

Well if you think you can get more out of it then do so. Run Prime95 to see if its stable.

I did not know the Geforce mobos support 140W processors or even 125W :huh: I would imagine that board to only last for a while if it doesnt.

• 1 month later...

Newbie here also. Just purchased a 9950 and an MSI 790GX Platinum board to go with it. this board has a dip switch on it that will let you overclock up to 20% just by flippin a couple of switches. it actually clocks at about 3175 and is pretty stable so far. This board has a bios that rocks. Very adjustable in every way. So i'm still playing with it. Oh, running a Cooler Master GeminII S heatsink w/120mm fan on top for cooling. Seems to be ok so far.

I've bought all of my components, except a heatsink fan set- I also have the MSI 790GX and phenom 9950... but I bought 4 Corsair dominator 2GB sticks with the heatsinks on them, so I am looking for the best HSF I can get that will fit in my case (Apevia X-Cruiser 6.8" width) and won't run right into my RAM sticks, any suggestions? Hopefully Crixman or someone who has experience with this Mobo can help me out, thanks all

This will be my first overclock and I just hope I can come close to the performance you guys have pulled out of the 9950

Can I anticipate this sort of performance? I was planning on settling at about 3GHz

At risk of looking like an idiot, I admit I have no idea what half the $%*@ in the BIOS is, or what I need to start overclocking. I have a Phenom 9550 and a 750a XFX mobo, not sure if I need to update it, but meh, who uses floppy drives? I can't even find a floppy disk I can write to.

Oh yeah, what am I doing wrong?

I've bought all of my components, except a heatsink fan set- I also have the MSI 790GX and phenom 9950... but I bought 4 Corsair dominator 2GB sticks with the heatsinks on them, so I am looking for the best HSF I can get that will fit in my case (Apevia X-Cruiser 6.8" width) and won't run right into my RAM sticks, any suggestions? Hopefully Crixman or someone who has experience with this Mobo can help me out, thanks all

This will be my first overclock and I just hope I can come close to the performance you guys have pulled out of the 9950

Can I anticipate this sort of performance? I was planning on settling at about 3GHz

I'm running kingston hyper-x 8500 4x 1g sticks. My Cooler master Gemini is a low profile cooler that OCC reviewed. The heatsink clears the memory fine and actually helps cool it also. this cooler comes with an adapter to put 2-90mm fans on it, extending over the motherboard more. it was only beat out by its big brother the Cooler Master V8 and a thermaltake i think. and that was out of about 7 other coolers they put it up against. fan speed is about 1950 rpm at peak, and very quiet. i love it. has 5 heat pipes. with your heat sinked ram, your going to have to go taller, and that is a naroow case. good luck with that. just look at the reviews on OCC. that should help.

And yes, 3.0 is very attainable with this mobo/ process combo. just make sure your power supply can handle it. 450 watts and up and a 24 pin main connector are essential. I have a pc power and cooling 500 watt with 550 peak power coming by next week. only about $55 with mail in discount at www.Mwave.com. Remember, i'm not running a video card yet, just off the mobo. HD3300, so big power is not needed yet. Saving for the MSI HD 4850.

With the power supply I have, i could only o-c to about 2.9 ghz with the video at 800mhz and ram running at 920, but capable of 1033. I also have seen that this mobo's bios has a voltage spike stopper software setting that needs to be turned off to overclock with stability. I hadn't had it off yet:)

I've spent almost 2 months researching and reading lots of reviews to try and get up to date on the newest stuff going on. Iv'e been running a Athlon 64 3400+ for almost 5 years now and it played most games up till Unreal Tournament 3 game came out. It ran, but graphics sucked big time. The quad 4 and HD 3300 on board graphics work just fine for it now!

At risk of looking like an idiot, I admit I have no idea what half the $%*@ in the BIOS is, or what I need to start overclocking. I have a Phenom 9550 and a 750a XFX mobo, not sure if I need to update it, but meh, who uses floppy drives? I can't even find a floppy disk I can write to.

Oh yeah, what am I doing wrong?

On your overclock question. If you have the motherboard manual, read through the bios section at least 2 times. Then research the board online and look at it's specs. make sure it can handle the power that you want to put to it. How's your memory situation? can your board handle faster memory?? Make sure you have an adequate power supply also.

I would look at the reviews that might be around on your motherboard. I use the retail sites alot to look at what people are saying about the product after theY buy it and use it. Then, you might know if you need to upgrade.

Floppy's are pretty close to being obsolete if not all ready. If yours is not acting right, replace it. They are cheap and it's likely that it has failed and not your motherboard. I had to unplug mine just last night. The drive light just stayed on and it would not read an old partion comander disk i had.

Hope this helps. And don't worry, there are no idiots here. Just us computer nuts that don't and can't possibly know everything there is to know about moddin, over-clocking or just upgrading your computer. Unless you spend two months straight researching this stuff. Man am i tired of the 1 am nights :blink:

Main "New" computer-

MSI-DKA970GX PLATINUM BOARD

AMD PHENOM 9950 BLACK BOX

4X 1G KINGSTON HYPER-X PC8500

COOLER MASTER GEMINII S COOLING SINK AND 120MM FAN

1X 250GB MAXTOR SATA 7200 RPM DRIVE

1X 120GB IDE WESTERN DIGIATL 5400 RPM DRIVE

USING ON BOARD GRAPHICS HD3300 FOR NOW- STILL RUNS U.T. 3 JUST FINE

DON'T LAUGH! 3DMARK06 AT 2.9 OVERCLOCK - 2500 - BUT STILL RUNS UT3 JUST FINE:)

• 7 months later...

Aight here goes, I tried getting 3.1, .2, .3, .4, even .5. No luck with this 9950 BE 140 WATT, if it can be done come over and do it lol. Cuz it can't, I hit 1.587 on the vcore and surprised me that the v8 didn't blow out the side of it. My conclusion is is if you want the 9950 overclocked past 3.0 get the 120 watt version cuz the 140 is garbage. Hope this helps.

Woot for the MSI DKA790GX Platinum! Exellent board, top notch bios, overclocks nice, runs cool and Looks Cool! if only it had HD4XXX intergrated graphics though, that would have been awesome! :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
First off, Welcome to the Club. :thumbs-up:

Secondly, I wouldn't expect more from the 9950 than what you've already gotten, which by the way is a pretty damn good result considering most I've seen top out at 3.013 or 3.07GHz.

my proc amd phenom x4 quad core black edition 2.6, oc'd to 3.0 only, i couldn't go further than that. i've tried to get 3.2, but it got blue screen.

so, i downclock to 3.1, it seem running pretty good, i tested with farcry2, after some time, it got blue screen as well, so i downclock again to 3.0...till now it run pretty stable. However, to achieve 3.0, i hd to increase the voltage by adding +100mv to get 1.4v, producing 44c idle and loading at -/+65c.

any ideas??

and also, i isntalled gaming ram 1066, but windows only detect 800mhz.. can someone help me on how to utilize its full clock?

i got question,i use mainboard asus ASUS M2N68-AM, dose it support this proc---amd PHENOM II AM2+ X4 940 at 3.0 native clock???

Edited by sunan