Wife Says I Get To Build A New Computer!!!

smokeyaka

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster.

A little background:

I have built 2 computers in the past, long time ago though. My wife said she needed a computer that would run The Sims 3 when it comes out, since we did not have that, I went out and bought her a gaming laptop from Best Buy. (Gateway 7811FX: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-p-...-33201021.html) Anyway, after she quickly realized that I was taking up the laptop for COD, Allied Assault, UT, etc... so she said I could build a new computer for myself!

That was about a month ago, since then I have read many reviews, done a lot of research, and been on many message boards. I have pretty much planned my whole computer out on paper. This is what I have bought so far:

Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Motherboard

Intel E8500 Processor

Sapphire Toxic HD 4870 - will crossfire later if needed

GSkill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 memory

Here are things I that I still need to get:

Power Supply

650W- havent picked an exact one yet

Speakers

Can get at a later date, I have some crappy 2.1's I can use for now

Hard Drive

WD 10000RPM 150GB SATA

DVD Drive

haven't picked one yet

Cooling

Swiftech H20-220 Ultra

I think that is about it. This is going to be my first time with liquid cooling, as well as my first time with overclocking. I have many questions, but I will narrow it down as best I can.

How far do you think I can overclock this system? I was planning on overclocking the processor to 3.8Ghz when I was planning on using air cooling, but now with the water cooling I was hoping to get about 4.3Ghz. I am not trying to make an extreme overclocker here, I need something with a long shelf life. However, I don't want to be waisting the process if I can push it further. Also, I chose liquid cooling for the quiteness, and also for the experience and looks. My question on cooling is with the Toxic 4870, I don't believe there is a way you can put a waterblock on the GPU or if there is even a need to. So, I will probably only have a CPU waterblock, and maybe a Northbridge waterblock strictly for aesthetics as I dont think it will make much of a difference over the stock heatsink. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Is there anything I am missing? As I said before, this will be my first time overclocking and my first time with water cooling, however, I think if I ask a lot of questions, do a lot of reading, and take my time during the build, I will be ok. I am most nervous about the overclocking part of it as I am still confused about which values I need to increase and by how far. How much, if any, do I increase the North bridge, do I need to overclock the GPU at all, how far to overclock the memory, etc. Anyway, my main questions is how is the build looking so far, and what am I over looking? By the way, as long as I take this build semi-slow, my wife is very supportive and said money wasn't an issue as long as I don't go crazy ;) Probably would be bad to go into debt as a newly wed!

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Hello Ryan, welcome to OCC buddy! :)

You have some fine choices already. A P45 and a 45nm dual core is great for gaming, and overclocking will be a breeze with that set up. For overclocking i would go with a set of ram with speeds exceeding PC6400, but at the price of that set, i don't think anyone can argue.

That case is great, although I am not sure how it will do for liquid cooling? Reason is simply because i have never gone into the water cooling category myself, I've fiddled with it but that is where it ends.

On to the power supply, I would look into Corsair. They have great units on newegg and their MIR's make for an even better deal.

The Corsair TX750W is my first choice, for the price and the quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006

HDD - If you are going for a 10,000RPM drive i would just rather go with a Western Digital Velociraptor. But as of now I still think 7200RPM drive are more than enough for a gaming rig. Seagate has a great 1TB drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148274

There is also the Hitachi 1TB HDD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822145167

But it seems like you have already done your homework on the main components.

Good luck with the Build ;)

Edited by damian

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I chose the 10000RPM drive because I was planning to load all programs on that drive, while still having a 7200RPM drive for "data". I thought the difference between a 10000RPM drive and a 7200RPM drive was AMAZING and well worth the cost/MB issue. What is your opinion on this? I can't imagine ever using 1TB of hard drive space.....of course, 5 years ago I couldn't imagine using 1GB of memory.....

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I chose the 10000RPM drive because I was planning to load all programs on that drive, while still having a 7200RPM drive for "data". I thought the difference between a 10000RPM drive and a 7200RPM drive was AMAZING and well worth the cost/MB issue. What is your opinion on this? I can't imagine ever using 1TB of hard drive space.....of course, 5 years ago I couldn't imagine using 1GB of memory.....

My opinion on this is that a 10,000RPM HDD is not that much more "amazing" than a 7200RPM HDD (at least in this case where you get more GB's of storage).

If you feel like you will never use that much storage, then your best bet would be to probably buy a Western Digital VelociRaptor 300Gb which sounds to be more than enough for your needs, right?

Here is an interesting articles comparing different hard drives.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3291&p=1

Edited by damian

I'd go with a different CPU, a quad core - But Im not as 'fresh' with my computer hardware as i used to be.

It all changed when I got a car :(

Don't worry the E8500 is a good choice. No need for a quad if he can't utilize all 4 cores :)

Besides the E8500 is will bring him a more satisfying overclock.

You can put a waterblock on the 4870 but it isn't worth it. I am pretty sure that 4870's heatpipe design is already good enough. And about the E8500, hitting 3.8GHz on that wouldn't be a problem. Heck with that watercooling I'd see you reaching like 4.5GHz as long as the chip you get doesn't act stubborn. Some wolfdale chips tend to like overclocking more than another. And then there are others that don't and will absolutely be a pain in the royal azz

Normally I wouldn't recommend water cooling kits. Instead I would go with custom watercooling parts, that way you can choose the best and what you like and want. But since your a first time watercooler I'd say a watercooling kit already put together for you would be the best choice.

For overclocking i would go with a set of ram with speeds exceeding PC6400, but at the price of that set, i don't think anyone can argue.

i'd agree also, the 8500 will like higher bus speeds, and if you OC it (which is strongly recommended) you'll be wanting faster ram.

EDIT: i remember i read the OCC reviews for those chips, they overclock like beasts! you should be able to hit 1066MHZ with them anyway.

so nvm on getting faster RAM, what you have is great!

Looks pretty good, I can see that you have done your research quite well.

There are indeed waterblocks for the HD4870

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...oducts_id=24375 <----full coverage

or

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...roducts_id=4086 & http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ind...oducts_id=22612

Good luck! Be sure to post some pictures when you are done

Thank you all for the replies. A couple of things, I imagine the 300GB hard drive will be more than enough for me. If not, I could always throw another drive in later. Seeing as how I already bought the processor, I am pretty set on not getting a quad core. I figured for mostly gaming, I would want more speed as opoosed to more multi-tasking. Plus I am using a single core right now, so the dual will still be a step up in that regard ;) I also agree that going with the watercooling kit was definately NOT my first choice as I never found any radiators in the kits that I particularly liked. However, since this is my first time in the venture, I figured a kit would be the most likely to actually work after I set it up. Once I get more experience, I will more than likely re-vamp the whole system with individual parts and an external radiator sitting away from the case. Anyway, I get my first shipment of parts (CPU, memory, mobo, GPU) today, so I will definately post pictures when I am done. Probably won't be for a couple weeks though as I still need to get the rest of the parts. Oh, one more thing about the graphics card, I got the toxic version back when I was planning on air cooling, I believe the "custom" cooling they put on it will be enough, also, I am pretty sure I would have to take it apart to put a water block on it as it all looks enclosed, any body else know for sure about the Sapphire Toxic card? I will take a look when I get the package.

Thanks,

Ryan

The VaporX cooling on the Toxic card does a great job on keeping the temperatures low, if you were set on using a waterblock, it would be smarter to buy some cheaper 4870 with the normal cooling solution. That way the VaporX design would not go to waste.

OCC reviewed the toxic card:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sa...re_hd4870toxic/

yup no sense in letting it go to waste. Forget about watercooling the video card. The toxic 4870's cooling design it good enough plus leaving you more headroom for overclocking.