TheMILKMAN

Unable To Install Vista

Are you sure your BIOS settings are appropriate? I'd verify those...then move on to test your RAM, which you should be able to do through your BIOS or TMOD's CD.

After running memtest, I'd probably try a slew of other things...is it a SATA or IDE DVD drive? Do you have another to try? Have you tried other cables?

Have you tested your harddrives? TMOD's disk should have some utilities on it (I've used the seatools ones, but I'm not sure about WD). Are there jumpers that you need to relocate / verify the positions of?

Are you sure your BIOS settings are appropriate? I'd verify those...then move on to test your RAM, which you should be able to do through your BIOS or TMOD's CD.

After running memtest, I'd probably try a slew of other things...is it a SATA or IDE DVD drive? Do you have another to try? Have you tried other cables?

Have you tested your harddrives? TMOD's disk should have some utilities on it (I've used the seatools ones, but I'm not sure about WD). Are there jumpers that you need to relocate / verify the positions of?

Yes. Vista is literally the only operating system I have tried that I can't get to work. Ubuntu works, backtrack works, OSX86 works, XP works, XP x64 works.

My ram is good. I memtest every time i format.

Hard drive is sata. I've tried different ports, Different drives, no drives, IDE drives.

Hard drive is fine. There is no need for jumpers on SATA.

*EDIT*

It seems as thought it was, once again, a BIOS issue. Used KillCMOS and it is booting up perfectly fine. *prays for no more issues*

**RE-EDIT*

Scratch that it didn't work.

Edited by TheMILKMAN

K I was able to get vista installed finally, though it took HOURS to complete properly.

It is moving INSANELY slow. CPU At a constant 100%. I think this is a bios issue. I'm starting to become EXTREMELY disappointed with DFI and how crappy support for this board is.

K I was able to get vista installed finally, though it took HOURS to complete properly.

It is moving INSANELY slow. CPU At a constant 100%. I think this is a bios issue. I'm starting to become EXTREMELY disappointed with DFI and how crappy support for this board is.

Are you still using a modded BIOS? If so, go back to stock.

Vista 64bit, I have installed it many times, the 'stall' you are experiencing I have duplicated numerous times, it comes down to bios settings (in my case, it was the ram and the HTT I was running), and, yes, your ram may pass every test in the world, but when it comes to a Vista 64bit install there can be annoying problems, the same setup installs XP 32bit and XP 64bit without problems....My current Vista 64bit install I did with the full compliment of 8 gigs of ramski onboard, but I had to completely restart the install several times before I got an acceptable bios configuration to do the deed without hitches or stalls.....the ram settings would make the CD Rom wig out, once they got right.............YMMV

I found sometimes a little 'adjustment' might be necessary to get the install to go without 'hangs', maybe a bit more juice to the ram is all you need to get the performance you expect, or a manual adjustment to timings, or, as mentioned by a previous poster, 1 stick o ram for install, add the rest later......

Vista 64bit can be a nightmare on the install side sometimes, good components sometimes need manual adjustments.....even after you install, there are numerous tweaks that need applying to get the HD activity down to a liveable level.......or to even get more than 1 stick of ram to work.....

Obviously, if you are clocking at all, a return to stock settings is the first thing you may want to try....I don't subscribe to this form of install however, I prefer to install at my clocked settings, the stress of the install will test your clockage rather well........and I never accept an install that has to be rebooted numerous times just to get the install moving along again........it is always an indication of deeper problems....

Laterzzzz...................

Edited by bldegle2