Problems With The Msi N9800gt

Vergo

I just bought a new MSI N9800GT from Newegg.com and I believe I'm having some trouble with the drivers.

My previous GPU was an ASUS 7600GT and I got roughly 130 FPS Avg. on Counter-Strike: Source in the Video Stress Test.

After installing my new video card and the drivers, I still seem to be getting the same FPS in the test, and I have the video settings on the game set the same. Also, other games seem to be just as choppy as before, etc.

I assume that the drivers didn't install right, or somehow my computer is still using the old drivers since it looks like my new card's potential is being bought down to the level of my old card. I've uninstalled the old drivers through Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Nvidia Geforce Properties and then installed the new ones from the disk more than once, and the last time I reinstalled, I used the recently updated 9-series drivers from nvidia.com

Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks

(P.S. everything else seems to be fine with the card, it's bulky like most of the new ones, but it's nice and quiet and has a nice cooling system)

Edited by Vergo

I just bought a new MSI N9800GT from Newegg.com and I believe I'm having some trouble with the drivers.

My previous GPU was an ASUS 7600GT and I got roughly 130 FPS Avg. on Counter-Strike: Source in the Video Stress Test.

After installing my new video card and the drivers, I still seem to be getting the same FPS in the test, and I have the video settings on the game set the same. Also, other games seem to be just as choppy as before, etc.

I assume that the drivers didn't install right, or somehow my computer is still using the old drivers since it looks like my new card's potential is being bought down to the level of my old card. I've uninstalled the old drivers through Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Nvidia Geforce Properties and then installed the new ones from the disk more than once, and the last time I reinstalled, I used the recently updated 9-series drivers from nvidia.com

Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks

(P.S. everything else seems to be fine with the card, it's bulky like most of the new ones, but it's nice and quiet and has a nice cooling system)

You can try running Driver Cleaner Pro, to get rid of all the stuff. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

What I'd do...

Uninstall whatever current card you have. Through Device Manager is fine.

Reboot into safe mode.

Run DCP for nvidia (graphics).

Reboot into normal windows.

Install drivers (I highly prefer ones straight from Nvidia)

:thumbs-up:

That 9800GT should run CS:S just about maxed...on everything.

What I'd do...

Reboot into safe mode.

Yea I knew something was very wrong when my FPS on CSS was only a few over 100...in game it was even worse (50-60 on assault, yuck)

Thanks for the quick reply :>

However, I'm not too experienced and I don't know what DCP is <_<, so would you please elaborate?

Also, should I use the same method as before to uninstall or use the link you suggested?

Edited by Vergo

Ok I tried exactly what the readme for DCP said to do:

nVidia:

1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect

2. Remove nvidia from add/remove programs

3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)

4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...

5. Navigate to device manager->display adapters->highlight nVidia and click uninstall or remove but don't reboot

6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)

7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)

8. Run Driver Cleaner

9. Empty recycle bin and reboot

10. Install the new drivers

And I still get 125-130 FPS on the test, and ~70 on Dust2, so basically it didn't work or I didn't do it right

:'(

It runs CSS just fine, but my brother has an 8800 and he gets 160 FPS on maps where I get 50-60 FPS...

Note: I'm using Windows XP. Also, the drivers I installed from nvidia.com are under the manual search under "9 series."

Any more ideas? :/

Edited by Vergo

Also, don't expect an increase from the 8800, also, I'd just reformat.

I might, if it comes to that, but first I'm going to wait for some verification/more replies before I do anything drastic.

You can try running Driver Cleaner Pro, to get rid of all the stuff. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

What I'd do...

Reboot into safe mode.

I found a very intuitive guide on cleaning up any left behind files/documents of past drivers deleting them via the registry, instead of using software. It's quite helpful

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502

For future references i suppose.

That's what my brother suggested, it's an AMD Athlon 64, 2.2 GHz

Also, 2 GB RAM

He also suggested that the fact that I'm on windows xp and cannot run DX10 might be a problem..

*edit*

Yea a friend just also said it's probably the processor bottlenecking, so it looks like it's time for some upgrades :/

I guess I shouldn't have bought a new video card for a 3 year old computer XD

Edited by Vergo