Sign in to follow this  
dat93

How Do I Create A Double Boot?

im thinking of creating a double boot and so is my friend. we both want linux running alongside windows. how can you do this? i havent got a clue about double booting.

Please don't double post. This is the same post you made earlier today in the same section with the same wording. That's not cool. It's only been four hours since your first post. Give it some time.

Also, if you're having trouble getting answers, try asking more specific questions. It would help to know what you've tried, what you've read/searched.

But to double boot your system, the first thing you will need to do is partition your hard drive into two sections. Do you know how to do this?

sorry for posting the same question twice, i did this because the first one was worded as if it was a guild and i didnt want people to think that, i didnt know how to delete the post so i throught i would try and make a new post, plus i told i would find out a little about this by tomorrow.

i dont know how to partition two seperatly. it would be great if you could go from the start. im still a noobie to computers.

hi i know nothing and have no desire to research anything. it took everything i had to put together these sentences and needed a friend to type it. please tell me how to do everything kthanksbye

first off its easier if you start off with something easier then windows, but you can still do it. use your first os and while your installing it make sure you leave room on a partition of your hard drive or an empty harddrive. then install your second os and tell it to use existing partition then when you boot up you can chose.

if you already have windows installed your drive may be partitioned and you just start installing a new os. if not i'm pretty sure you can just add another hardrive not in raid and it will work.

insert the win xp pro disc (home doesnt have partitioning) and create a separate partition with your free space apart from your main partition

create it as ntfs, and install the new windows on the new partition

EASY AS THAT

insert the win xp pro disc (home doesnt have partitioning) and create a separate partition with your free space apart from your main partition

create it as ntfs, and install the new windows on the new partition

EASY AS THAT

You can do it with basic in both xp and vista

also i'm not sure if this is true but i heard the more you partition your drive you start losing space or something?

thanks for the help, i think im going to try and pick myself up an xp package and start off with that rather than ubuntu.

Just make sure you backup up any important files before you try this. It very easy to accedentally delete the wrong partition, or misconfigure something.