Semi-newbie Needs Some Help

Envi

Hello again! Just wanted to drop a line here that I managed to get all the parts, and the build went pretty much without a hitch! It was tons of fun just building it, and the reward of using it right now to type this out is even better. Nothing came DOA (Newegg wins), and the only thing I screwed up when building it was I put the system panel connectors (the front power/reset switches and stuff) on upside down somehow, but once I fixed that it booted right up. I was able to make the RAID-0 array without any problems too.

I should mention that it took me about 2 hours to install the CPU cooler. 1 and a half hours of that were trying to get the rubber feet into the fan, it's an EXTREMELY tight fit. Had to brute force them in, wasn't easy... that said, it seems to work wonderfully.

So far I've gotten everything stable and installed and I've overclocked to about 3.4 ghz stable so far with Prime95 stress tests, at full load temps maxing at 60C. I think I could push it further if I wanted to, but I'm not sure I want/need to. I haven't gotten to actually do much yet as far as gaming, but I did install LOTRO and got my first taste of max settings with DX10, and I was extremely impressed to say the least. Oh and I've spent a good deal of time playing with Vista settings, once I got all the excessive warning messages disabled, I really like it. The video desktop background is awesome (although admittedly useless :P). The sidebar thing is really useful for me too, I found a gadget for it that's a search bar for Wikipedia... just type it in on the desktop and it pops up the wikipedia page.

Anyways, just thought I'd let you all know how it went. I'd give you pictures, but I have no idea where my camera went. :P

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic