Sign in to follow this  
Zertz

Cameras: Dslr Vs Superzoom Vs P&s

I have a Powershot S3 IS and a Powershot SD450 and the former is light years ahead of the latter in terms of options and picture quality. For the purposes you laid out, you definitely don't need to spend money on a dSLR, a superzoom is more than enough. I would highly recommend the Canon Powershot S5 over any P&S.

I used my S3 at my sister's engagement last year and the pictures were just phenomenal, some even came out better than those take by the official photographer with all of his fancy equipment. :P

side point - in Lego's avatar, that woman - she looks like a girl off the show my GF was watching this morning called "Gilmore Girls" ... is it that girl? :blink:

I too have a "digicam", or superzoom, (Panasonic) and I love it. But as the compact P&S superzooms get better and better, it's only a matter of time before I switch. The shirt pocket size is very compelling to me, the digicam is just big enough to be a pain to carry around.

I'll make a trip at my local Staples tomorrow and see if they have anything decent in stock I can try

side point - in Lego's avatar, that woman - she looks like a girl off the show my GF was watching this morning called "Gilmore Girls" ... is it that girl? :blink:

Probably not...

And yeah, rarely are those settings used right :P

I'm fond of the P&S Kodaks, I am however not a photographer and have very little experience with any professional quality cameras to compare against...

Gilmore Girls and Failure To Launch? :lol:

lol... seriously, lol

anyway, I *just* got the Canon Powershot A590IS a few days ago and am pretty impressed with it so far... my previous camera is a Powershot A75, so while it has much of the same features and modes, the new additions are very much welcome...

I've had a 35mm SLR in the past, and really like the various manual and semi-automatic modes of the Powershot series (one of the main reasons I didn't switch to another brand/series)...

Other cameras on my short list were the A720IS, SX100IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5

I think possibly the A590IS is really pushing the limits of the sensor in terms of megapixels vs sensor area... or maybe the JPEG compression (even on Super Fine, i.e. least) is still showing artifacts...

If you are considering a Canon camera, then I recommend you look into CHDK, basically they are modified firmwares that allow advanced features (using Digic III processor as a CPU of sorts) for RAW, live histogram, etc etc... A590IS is possibly going to get one, but the firmware hasn't been modified yet...

Anyway, I've been taking pics over the last few days to test the camera out, and went out to the UVA vs East Carolina football game today and took LOADS of pictures... so I've uploaded a selection of them to Google Photos (Picasa Web Albums):

post-9702-1223784048_thumb.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/steve.goossens...owershotA590IS#

lol steve

You bought a 1000H... I went out and got one too. Now you got a 590IS and that's pretty much the P&S I was eyeing :P

I also bought some furry slippers... wanna copy me on those too? :lol:

Woah, hang on.

You watched Failure to Launch??!?! :huh:

No, my GF did and I was in the apartment when it was on. As a result, I made an effort to be "interested" in order to get "things in return" ;) (oh and some of it was quite funny)