Sign in to follow this  
Zertz

Cameras: Dslr Vs Superzoom Vs P&s

I'm in the market for a new camera which will mostly be used for reviews and I've been looking at a few models

If I do get a DSLR, it would be an entry level one for sure (Sony A200, etc) ($400++)

Superzoom or SLR-like (like the Canon S5 IS, Sony DSC H5, etc) (about 300$)

or a mainstream point & shoot like the Canon 590IS/SX100IS/etc (about 130-200$)

Any opinions? I'm wondering if getting a superzoom/DSLR is really worth it vs a modern P&S

:unsure:

Edited by Zertz

I personally have a Canon PowerShot SD 890 IS. It performs beautifully for most uses. It's got 10 MP and a 5x optical zoom and 20x digital zoom. Surprisingly, even with the digital zoom at 20x, the image stabilization helps produce pretty clear shots. It has lots of adjustability, more that most people, even avid photographers would need. Judging from this camera, I would say that today's P&S cameras are more than sufficient for anyone other than a professional photographer. So unless you want professional quality shots and plan to use the extra features offered on the higher end cameras, a P&S will work just fine. To get a benefit from DSLRs or SLR-like cameras, you need to understand the various settings and adjustments needed.

As a general rule, of you're questioning if you need a SLR, you don't need one ;)

Yeah, people tend to know when it's time to get an SLR. Best to play with a 35mm film camera first in my opinion - inexepensive in the short term, but invaluable practice.

I guess I'll just pickup up a P&S at Staples/Future Shop, so if I don't like it I can just return it and go back to a SLR-like (which I have now but it's getting old)

Edited by Zertz

The line is getting blurred these days between superzoom and point and shoot. It's now possible to get a small p&s type with an image stabilized 12x optical zoom for a reasonable cost. Something to consider.

The line is getting blurred these days between superzoom and point and shoot. It's now possible to get a small p&s type with an image stabilized 12x optical zoom for a reasonable cost. Something to consider.

:withstupid:

Stay away from non-compact 'zoom' cameras, as they're not worth it. The psuedo-SLR looks are pants.

I got This Camera last spring and love it. 8mp and 18x OPTICAL zoom. Has a large choice of options, yet retains an ease of use that anyone can pick up and use it.

I got This Camera last spring and love it. 8mp and 18x OPTICAL zoom. Has a large choice of options, yet retains an ease of use that anyone can pick up and use it.

No!

I had to correct and de-noise about 400 photos a friend took with one of those at a wedding... it's not good! :O

To be fair, many digital cameras don't do so well in low light, and although many have settings for indoors/flash, few people actually ever use them.

Edited by Phil