Sign in to follow this  
kage

Make Windows Appear On A Network As Not Windows?

just wondering if its possible... when i go onto a network the network administrators are able to tell that my computer is running windows , and even that its running windows XP. similarily many websites can tell what OS im running. is there a way to make that not possible, or even better to make my windows appear on the network as if it were linux or a different operating system then it actualy is?

thanks

Kyle

well ill know in a few days if this has been useful...

the reason i want to do this is the university i go to is ridiculous and they are soon enforcing new network rules, if their servers determine you have a windows or a mac then it wont let you on unless you have this program that fishes information about your computer. namely if you are in windows you have to have this program to access the network, this program will feed information about the status of your firewall, the status of your virus scanner, OS version and updates. they are enforcing you have vista, i still rock XP and i dont want to change to vista, they force you are fully updates, but i dont get a lot of updates because i dont want them, they force you use windows firewall, i use zonealarm, they force you use the virus scanner they want.

so for me to get my desktop back on the network i would have to upgrade to vista, leave the security center on which i never use, leave widnows firewall on even if i use a better firewall, leave a virus scanner on at all times, get every security update. its just ridiculous. first i hate vista with a passion, also when i play COD4 i usauly shut down most processes on my computer so that it runs better,m including explorer and my virus scanner and stuff. but when these rules are enforced teh second i kill that virus scanner i would get kicked from the network.

anyway enough of my rant, the servers do not enforce these rules if they determine that you are linux or any "non conventional" operating system .... essentially anything not windows or mac (linux, xbox, etc)

they say its because people are idiots and keep getting viruses, but im smart enough to not download viruses and protect myself from potential threats without them needing to hold my hand through it, i'm not going to go out and buy vista just because they say you have to have it now to get on the network, if i can make the network servers think my desktop is anything but windows, maybe it wont enforce those network rules