Sign in to follow this  
Gr4vitas

Need Motivation

I work best under pressure, so I tend to leave things later than maybe I should do... If the workload is becoming a problem though, make sure you try and spread it out, and not just over evenings - you're not going to do so well then, and it'll take you longer, try finding some spare time in the day, or on the bus, whatever - It'll help reduce the big chunks you have to do.

I had problems in the summer too, as I wasn't doing much work (lack of equipment :(), but I tried to compensate by planning my thesis and other projects... provided you keep in the right frame of mind, it's not so difficult.

I always suffered from a lack of motivation, especially in high school, and there's no 'cure' for it, except from finding something that motivates you. I don't really care for money or notoriety or whatever really, so I had to find something else, which obviously limits your choice of career path. As you're already studying in a specific area, you've got to have an idea as to why you wanted to be there in the first place... try and focus on that :)

The work you put in now will pay dividends in the future.

I didn't get as far as degree level in the UK, I had to start work at 16 for one reason or another, but did manage to get my Higher National Certificate In Electrical and Electronic Engineering, through part time study, while working 40 hours a week, which I believe is approximately equal to, is it a Foundation Degree in the USA?

Got a reasonable job, got married, two children, then you need the money. One started university a week ago and hopefully the other in 2 years time. That's were my money will go and if there is a little left over to fund my interest in computers then great.

Regards

Paul

I'm currently in my last year of Computer Engineering and I have somewhat of a different slant of advice for you.

Find a good study group

Get some folks together that are in your classes and do homework. Not only will you have several heads to think a problem over, but you can goof off a little and still be productive. Working hard doesn't do you any good if you're too stressed out to stay sane. Some of the hardest engineering classes were made much MUCH easier having a large group of people to study with simply because different people understood problems differently. If I couldn't figure someone out one way, someone would almost always have a different approach to solving the problem.

I completely agree with Lo's advice about exercise too, that makes a world of difference.

Is there any specific field you'll be focusing on for your degree?