Sign in to follow this  
Magel

Geforce Gtx 350

The 4k series is nothing like the 3k series, it is a totally new chip from the ground up. Hence the very dramatic performance increase it made over the 3k series cards. The 1gb 4870 will basically only show inprovements over the 512 version in the form of higher min framerates at very high resolutions and detail settings. Peak fps will not change since that is always at the least demanding point of a benchmark, and avg fps will not skyrocket since the fps will only change in certain places. Not a big improvement for benchmarking, but it will help the gameplay experience.

The bus speed used is due to using gddr5 - it does not need a 512bus to outperform gddr3/4 since its bandwidth is effectively doubled clock per clock anyway. Add in the fact that is hits higher speeds as well, and stock speed gddr5 on a 256 bus outperforms overclocked gddr4 on a 512 bus. Jumping to a 512 bus may or may not help performance since current cards are not memory bandwidth limited anyway. For example, give a phenom x4 more memory bandwidth and its performance will not increase, since it already has a rediculous amout and is not bottlenecked by mem bandwidth.

The 280+ does not sound noteworthy unless they can drop the price like crazy on it, but the 350 may be promising...assuming they did more then just throwing gddr5 on a 512bus at a 280 core and calling it a day.

To early to tell, but I hope they both perform great. Competition is good for both the red and green camps.

oh yeah the 200 series GPUs are amazing, there is no doubting that. I just like how ATI always takes risky dives into new territories like GDDR4/5 and 55nm. depending on how my videocard plays farcry 2 or an equally stressfull game will make the decision on whether I upgrade from my 4870 but I should be fine.

As for the memory bandwidth I thought that's why Nvidia's GDDR3 can keep up with the the GDDR5, since the GDDR5 runs at double the speed and GDDR3 at double the bandwidth they are currently equal. So i figured if you gave the GDDR5 the same bandwidth than it would be ridiculously fast.

As for the memory bandwidth I thought that's why Nvidia's GDDR3 can keep up with the the GDDR5, since the GDDR5 runs at double the speed and GDDR3 at double the bandwidth they are currently equal. So i figured if you gave the GDDR5 the same bandwidth than it would be ridiculously fast.

Nope. The 4k series cards with the GDDR5 match or pass the nvidia cards in mem bandwidth while using only half the bus width and lower physical ram clocks - but that does not make as big of a performance difference as you would think on paper since neither card is struggling for more mem bandwidth. That is why I am worried about any performance increase for nvidia moving to gddr5 - the 200 core cards have never been mem bandwidth starved so throwing gddr5 at them may not do very much.

I'm a bit long winded sometimes, but to try to explain in more detail:

The 4870 has 115 GB/s mem bandwidth while using a 256bit bus and 900mhz ram, and the 260 gets 112 GB/s even though the ram is 100mhz higher and the bus is at like 448 or some weird width. Point being, even at a 10% lower clockspeed and half the bus width the gddr5 still gives more performance then gddr3. It is important to note though, that overclocking the memory on the gddr5 - which gives crazy performance per clock - does not help much in benchmarks or real world testing. That is because the mem bandwidth is not a bottleneck already...and is why I am not sure a 512 bus will help much with cards already getting such insanely high mem bandwith!

That is why I doubt throwing more ram and doubling the bus width at a 280 will be enough to make it quicker then a 4870X2 without giving it a healthy clock boost as well...but they might be able to sell them cheap enough to make it a better buy overall. It's really all about price:performance to get market share, not always just the fastest card.

If they come in at the right price point, two GTX350s just may be the most powerful and best bang:buck combo for the extreme enthusiasts. In that case, ATI may enable that high bandwidth sideport that they have installed but disabled just "waiting for a rainy day" and lower the price of the 4870x2s, making two of those the high end bang:buck champions.

There are a ton of possible outcomes, and it is very exciting to watch how it all pans out. Good times!

Brang??? --> Brought (and 'their')

im notorious for grammer and spelling errors lol, mainly because i usually post while on my sidekick slide and my fingers are way bigger than the keys so i end up pressing 3 at a time :P and also because i never really proof read what i write..ever haha

nVidia 350 2Gb video card? I wouldn't buy one until ATi releases their response to the card, to which nVidia will need to slash all it's prices.

Competition is good. I just wish Aureal was still around to give Creative a run for their money in the sound card business. Creative has been bending the consumer over since Aureal went out of business (see Vista and Creative drivers).

you really think ATI is going to have an answer to the gtx350 so quickly? the only way they beat the 280 was to put 2 GPU's on a single card, without developing a whole new GPU from the ground up they arent going to have an answer very soon...unless they put 3 GPU's on a single card...and even if it were possible, it would overheat in about a quarter of a second

I found another interesting article regarding Nvidias road map..

Nvidia Road map

45nm As soon as Q1 next year.. wow... At this rate I reckon we'll see an GTX 125000 by mid next year lol.

I found another interesting article regarding Nvidias road map..

Nvidia Road map

45nm As soon as Q1 next year.. wow... At this rate I reckon we'll see an GTX 125000 by mid next year lol.

look what this retard said ( not Magel, the quoted area under me from the site that Magel included)

# unreal Says:

September 10th, 2008 at 6:27 pm

if nvidia is smart they will bring out a dual gpu (with 40nm this should be possible) add some gddr5 and ati is toast id pay a grand for that card anyday.

other than that good stuff

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Have been doing a bit more reading around. It seems that the new Core i7 cpus are due to be released very soon as is the x58 chipset that supports it. We may very well see the release of these cards with the new chipset..

you really think ATI is going to have an answer to the gtx350 so quickly? the only way they beat the 280 was to put 2 GPU's on a single card, without developing a whole new GPU from the ground up they arent going to have an answer very soon...unless they put 3 GPU's on a single card...and even if it were possible, it would overheat in about a quarter of a second

Imagine if they did that...

ASUS did with the 3850 it was called trinity or something like that but it was watercooled and never released to the public.