Nvidia Physics Worth It To Gaming?

uneedav8

Whats new about the gaming physics now since Nvidia has acquired it from Ageia? Is the only difference the fact that you can use a range of Nvidia cards to do the work? Is it worth it for those of us who want the most out of our gaming experience? Or just another gimic to get us to purchase another card? What do you guys think? Just curious.

It's a tough thing to say. I've got an 8800gt and I only have one game with physx, and that's Medal of Honor Airborne, one of the worst games ever made. When I ran that game with physx enabled, the game ran a lot smoother, but I couldn't physically see the difference or even tell when physx was taking effect. Even when Ageia had its own card, people said they could hardly tell a difference, but games that had physx ran better in general.

So don't upgrade just so you can use physx. Also, if you are looking to upgrade, don't even put that on a list of pros or cons if trying to decide between ATI or Nvidia. Right now, it's basically a gimmick, so don't fall for the hype.

compare it to the the power PPU from f@h of a non physx card, and see if there will be a difference in games. not all games have physx yet. but it seems to be a standard that will stick, i mean its been around long already

Both Nvidia and ATI have physics things. ATI is partnered with Havok (lots of games already use this) and are trying to make the physics engine run on their GPU's instead of a CPU. Nvidia has Ageia, and is trying to make the PhysX engine run on their cards (through cuda). The both have pros and cons etc etc flamewar etc. However, right now both of them are gimmicks at best and should not be considered. If your worried about stuff like this you will get a new card long before they have any tangible benefits.

I dunno, the UT3 PhysX levels are pretty jaw-dropping.

i agree, and i think that gpu physx should be a factor in choosing a videocard, especially if it's high end (and therefore expected to be somewhat future proof)

wether it justifies buying a gtx260/280 over a 4870 is debatable, but if they were neck and neck physx support would certainly influence my decision.

Edited by psycho_terror

Got a hold of an extra 9800GT, tried to install it as the physics card with the new drivers. I have a 9800GX2 and a 9800GT. It does not seem to give me on option to pick a Physics card in the Physics control panel. Anyone have any ideas? It seems to lose the SLI option in the control panel when the 9800GT is enabled also. Weird.