Is The Dfi Bloodiron Still A Good Mobo?

Jenn

I was reading this over and wondering if this was still doable; the parts fit w/i my budget pretty well, but I only found two DFI boards on Newegg. (Didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing.) Since this will be my first time overclocking, I didn't want to spend more than $100 on a mobo, if possible; I found this on Newegg for $109. Since the guide was written in January, of course, there's a question of there is better out there right now, so I thought I'd turn it over to the experts.

Edited by Jenn

Coming from a guy who has a bloodiron board I can say it OC's pretty damn well. On my E8400 I got up to 4.7GHz on it. So many OCing features in the bios on this board you probaly won't even know where to start. I purchased mine when they were like $150 something and still thought that was the best bang for the buck, and you getting to purchase it for $109 is even better. Get the board. They work well with quads and duals. Just keep in mind this board does have alot of settings in it that if you don't know what they are you can really screw up your hardware :lol:

With your E8400 you have and the dfi bloodiron board and a good set of OCing memory and cooling your pretty much good to go ask jammin we have similar setups too. He has an E8400 with a bloodiron board

Wow, thanks! I'll definitely go ahead and get the board. (I assume this is the same board, just open box?) Looking at the Fransa setup, is there anything you agree with or don't agree with? Unfortunately, getting a decent graphics card will have to come w/next month's bonus and I'm still saving up for a nice monitor, but I should be able to swing everything else okay.

*edit* I also found this board; I'm sure there are differences b/t the BloodIron and the LANParty, but I'm not sure what they are. I should've mentioned that I'm using Vista Ultimate, and have the option of running Ultimate 64 if I choose. I also do some gaming but nothing crucial and not online, and my internet service, sadly, comes from my cell phone doubling as my modem. Very slow, but very cheap.

Edited by Jenn

Yep, nothing wrong with the Blood Iron, particularly if you're aren't looking to spent too much.

The LANParty board is essentially the same, but with a tweaked layout, some better caps and some improved cooling (mofset heatsinks).

Some of the BIOS options should give you more detailed control as well.

As for the guide you linked to, it's alright I suppose, if a little simplistic, plus I personally wouldn't run at that high of a voltage 24/7.

Bear in mind that all CPUs aren't born equal as well, so it's possible to end up with a stubborn E8400 that doesn't particularly like overclocking.

There is a thread detailing the trial and tribulations I had with my setup soon after I got it here.

That's a great thread; thanks a million. I think I'm going to go w/the LANParty since you say the cooling is improved and it's not much more expensive (about $12 more). But it's good to know I've found something I think is going to work pretty darn well.