Overclock Hd4870

Hi

I am interested in a HD4870 and I saw the review to the Powercolor PCS+ HD4870.

I saw in the "OverclockersClub" the reviews to the HD4870 of other marks with standard speeds of gpu and memories and repaired that, in the overclock they did not manage to reach the same values as the Powercolor PCS+. This fact is due to the fact of not being prepared of factory for such speeds ...? are they limitations of the cooler...? are the limitations of Catalyst Control Centre...?

If I buy a "HD4870 standard", change the cooler and use Rivatuner (for example), is possible to reach the same values of Powercolor PCS+ ?

Regards

Paulo Pereira

from Portugal

Edited by [email protected]

yea the aftermarket cooler on the HD4870 will help out, but you should be alright if you just turn the fan on the stock one up a bit. Also all chips will overclock differently so it might just be yours is a little slower.

The fact it didnt come overclocked shouldnt matter because they are essentially the same chip. (most of the time)

the stock fan and cooler is amazing, I can run at 65% fan speed and run at like 40C which is ICE cold for a video card that's probably safe to run at ATLEAST 100 degrees celsius. Save your money on the aftermarket cooler. The card probably can't go high enough an overclock where temperature would hamper it's ability to do so. I got mine up to 880core/1150memory but then found out that outside of 3dmark it was unstable but the core goes up to 55C on full load with folding so I doubt I will ever need a new cooler. I would test limits of the stock cooler for yourself, once you turn up the fan to even 50% you'll see how much of a good cooler it is (or just how effective the small nanometer is at conserving heat).

the only reason to buy an aftermarket is noise, that's about the only issue with the stock cooler. but it definitely works for that noise factor and 50% is barely noisy at all, 65 and up starts getting annoying.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

video card that's probably safe to run at ATLEAST 100 degrees celsius.

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents here, my 8800GT fan turned down at one point during a game, and i found out that it's thermal shutdown occurred at 95C. just to give you an idea of what they can handle. and this was of course measured with RivaTuner.

i realize the cards are different, but i can't imagine the thermal shutdown temp would be drastically different.

yeah i was in the video bios editor and the fan only kicks in at 100% after 101c! someone at Ati lost there mind, if the chip max is around 100ish than why make the fan only go full speed after the limit lol.

also to make it clear ati did lock down the launch cards so they can't be overclocked very high. 4850s are limited to 700 and the 4870s 800.

yeah i was in the video bios editor and the fan only kicks in at 100% after 101c! someone at Ati lost there mind, if the chip max is around 100ish than why make the fan only go full speed after the limit lol.

also to make it clear ati did lock down the launch cards so they can't be overclocked very high. 4850s are limited to 700 and the 4870s 800.

that's probably why my card isn't stable at 880, i'll try 800, thanks!

and as for the max temp, i'm not sure exactly what it is but I'm still FAR from 95C as I am now so I still don't need to get an aftermarket cooler

A video card that's probably safe to run at ATLEAST 100 degrees celsius.

Hehe, everyone says this, but i actually got my X1950Pro to hit 100oC and as I didnt really intend on putting the theories to the test, i backed off on the loading (fan was already at 100%, it because the cooler was clogged with dust which i fixed after said incident)

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents here, my 8800GT fan turned down at one point during a game, and i found out that it's thermal shutdown occurred at 95C

It should have been 110 C if the sensor was correct.

yeah i was in the video bios editor and the fan only kicks in at 100% after 101c! someone at Ati lost there mind

101 C is fine. It's hot, but it's not going to kill anything.