So In A Dilemma Here Psu Issue

SPECS IS

Intel Q9450 @ 3.5 Ghz|8 GIGS ddr 2 800 mhz|ATI 4870 X2 in cross fire|Vista Ultimate x64|

Asus rampage Formula|2 3.0 MB Drives 500 gigs|XFI Xtreme music|Water Cooled|Antec 1200 case|Ultra x3 1000 watts|

now when i got the other 4870x2 i added a new psu from a ultra x3 800 to a ultra x3 1000

now since i got the new psu i have been having hd issues where the hds were not being picked up,after a few reboots it will get detected,after a reboot it would not,so today i switched out the psu back to my 800 and everything is fine 100 percent no issues,so i guess the new psu is screwed

now i gamed on the 800 watts for 1 hour and it ran fine on quad fire 4870x2

so my dilemma is stick with the 800 watts as it is running my system stable,or go back and get my 250 for the 1000 watts or switch it and use the 1000?

yea I'd return the 1000 and run on the 800, it's like the old saying new is not always

better the 800 may be better than it is rated and the 1000 could have bad caps who

knows it's all made in china. <_<

yea i guess that saying is true lol..kind of good in a way now that 270 i get back can go to my new water cooling kit!LOL....

Seeing as the 800W is working would suggest there is some kind of fault with the 1000W version, I agree.

So I would certainly take the 1000W back and get a refund or a replacement.

As for whether you should stick with the 800W in the long run, I'm honestly not sure about.

It would be great to grab a power meter and check yourself how much you are drawing.

Most reviews I have seen put crossfire power consumption in the 750-800W area under load (here, here and here). I don't know if those are taking efficiency (AC-DC) into consideration or not.

So it's possible gaming will be pushing the PSU quite hard.

Does the fan spin up very noticeably when you do? Because that would be a good indicator.

Basically I probably would be more comfortable running on a 1KW unit (which is something I actually find hard to type :lol: ).

So it's possible gaming will be pushing the PSU quite hard.

Does the fan spin up very noticeably when you do? Because that would be a good indicator.

on the psu can not tell the gpus yes at certain points of the game it will push the gpu fan for a few seconds then back down.

I don't know if those are taking efficiency (AC-DC) into consideration or not.

I'm pretty sure those numbers are taken at the wall, so efficiency does come into play. So component's real consumption is a bit lower, but it's still 750W on a 800W PSU, it's within ratings, but some extra overhead isn't bad either ;)

I'd get that 1000W replaced or refunded

Edited by Zertz

I'm pretty sure those numbers are taken at the wall, so efficiency does come into play. So component's real consumption is a bit lower, but it's still 750W on a 800W PSU, it's within ratings, but some extra overhead isn't bad either ;)

Well yeah, I'm kind of hoping they are actually doing some efficiency calculations and then presenting the numbers, because if they aren't then even that 778W figure from TweakTown turns into around 622W (assuming 80% efficiency), which is obviously considerably less scary. :)

Well switched the psu so far no problems lets just hope it stays this way,on a side note i also got to oc to 3.6 ghz stable

how how is a psu suppose to be running?cause the top of mines is hot at times?

Mine makes the top of the case warm and the metal of it on the back is mildly warm, not hot at all.