Whats The Fastest Processor I Can Fit?

Hey guys,

I've got Fujitsu Siemens V5535, currently got a Intel Celeron 1.78 processor, but its not fast enough...

this is the CPUZ info....

Processor 1 (ID = 0)

Number of cores 1 (max 1)

Number of threads 1 (max 1)

Name Intel Celeron M 530

Codename Conroe-L

Specification Intel® Celeron® CPU 530 @ 1.73GHz

Package Socket 479 mPGA (platform ID = 7h)

CPUID 6.6.1

Extended CPUID 6.16

Core Stepping A1

Technology 65 nm

Core Speed 1733.5 MHz (13.0 x 133.3 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 533.4 MHz

Stock frequency 1733 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T

L1 Data cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control no

Features XD

Any ideas what CPU I can fit?

Thanks Guys.

Heh, all that detailed info on a cpu you want to throw in the bin, motherboard spec's would have been nice.

Anyway, the fastest socket 479 cpu i can find is this: http://scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=612965

however it is a bit pricey, you'll probably be limited by other things (like ram which hasnt been mentioned and may well be a better purchase than a new cpu) And it is likely it will be incompatible with your mobo, in the same way you could put a Q9300 in a P4 board, but it wouldnt like it because the chipset + bios wouldnt support it.

I think you should look into more ram or change the whole laptop (swaping cpu's might be fiddily) or just live with it.

I think adding more ram to that laptop would be the better choice or saving up for a new laptop.

Changing cpus in laptops is not an easy thing to do. Plus there's really no way of telling weather that chipset will support the cpu you are looking to put in.

I've got an old Northwood SL6PN 2.5 Ghz that uses the same socket, I'm not an expert on older Intel processors, but I think it'd work. I was planning on finding a nice mobo for it and OCing the crap out of it...Had my mind set on 3 GHz plus ;) If someone else confirms that it would work I would be glad to work out a deal with you. Other than that Intel has moved on to LGA 775, and no longer makes chips for 478, so all in all I reccomend buying a new mobo and a nice dual or quad core proc.

~Error

Edit: why was I only viewing one post? Oh... I thought it was a desktop... My proc should still fit :)

Double-edit: Damn...Its 479. I guess I misread. Build a desktop - Its satisfying :)

Edited by Error 404

Heh, all that detailed info on a cpu you want to throw in the bin, motherboard spec's would have been nice.

Anyway, the fastest socket 479 cpu i can find is this: http://scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=612965

however it is a bit pricey, you'll probably be limited by other things (like ram which hasnt been mentioned and may well be a better purchase than a new cpu) And it is likely it will be incompatible with your mobo, in the same way you could put a Q9300 in a P4 board, but it wouldnt like it because the chipset + bios wouldnt support it.

I think you should look into more ram or change the whole laptop (swaping cpu's might be fiddily) or just live with it.

Hey sorry, I dont know what the MB spec... Its got 2GB ram, which is its maximum, i've done an upgrade on the HDD, and Battery. I'm happy to play with fitting the CPU, but I didnt know how to tell what the max CPU is...

on a desktop you can easily find out, but then on the laptop its all hidden information...

Monitoring

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model Z17M2.0 (0x19F - 0x5879F0)

Hey sorry, I dont know what the MB spec... Its got 2GB ram, which is its maximum, i've done an upgrade on the HDD, and Battery. I'm happy to play with fitting the CPU, but I didnt know how to tell what the max CPU is...

on a desktop you can easily find out, but then on the laptop its all hidden information...

Monitoring

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Model Z17M2.0 (0x19F - 0x5879F0)

I've looked around and haven't really bring up information on that board. Even if you found name of the company that manufactured that board I doubt they would give you the full list of specs.

When it comes to adding/replacing hardware in name brand computers doing things like ram, video cards, hardrives and cd/dvd drives is usually not a big deal. But when you go and start replacing things like cpus, motherboards, power supplies, heatsinks and cases its usually a much harder thing to do because usually manufactures do not follow the same specifications as we follow in the custom pc world.

CPUID 6.6.1

Extended CPUID 6.16

Core Stepping A1

Technology 65 nm

Core Speed 1733.5 MHz (13.0 x 133.3 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 533.4 MHz

Stock frequency 1733 MHz

Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T

L1 Data cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size