New Graphics Card Probems

RedOctober

Ive just got a powercolor 1gb hd 4870

the problem is ive got a 32bit version of vista so that limits my memory to 3.3gb out of the 4gb i have in there.I knew this from the beginning

but the problem is cos of the 1gb in the gfx card along side the memory on the mobo being used it adds up to more than is seen by the system,im sure the tech heads amongst you will understand what i mean.And so it causes an error message saying not enough memory or hard disk space.it only happens when i play cod4 multiplayer,my other games seem fine,maybe its because of the online features it uses more memory.ive tried closing apps to lessen the memory being used but it still happens once in a while

what i want to know is,is there anyway round this to make the system run smooth without the error message?

thats a little odd becasue I also have 32Bit vista( for now) and 4Gb of ram but I only have a 512 HD4870 I don't have any problems with it.

I remeber changing something under 64bit XP os to do with physical memory but I m not sure if you can via vista....it just does not seem right....

the only thing I can think off right now is that the hard drive is full becasue vista requires a swap file not sure if CoD4 need it through.

Edited by AMG

Dunno why you are getting an error though, i assumed you'd just get less ram to play with, since the gpu will take up more. Maybe you need to format. And did you clean out your old drivers before putting in the new ones?

I removed the old drivers completely,and got the latest with the hot fix from the ati site.

i dont know what the problem is,il try a reformat when i get home and see if that works