First Time Build

Tsylord

Hello everyone. I am new to the forms so once again hello. Anyway I want to build a computer for the first time but I need some veterans to check and see if things are compatible and will work well, feel free to make suggestions aswell.

Alright, well like I said this is my first time building a computer and I want a good one. I love to play games on my computer but my crappy old $1000 gateway is a while behind the times.

Here's the components that I want to use.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

RAM - Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB

Case - NZXT Whisper Classic Series Full Steel Silent Tower Case

Disk Drive - LG GH22NS30 Black SATA DVD-Writer

Motherboard - EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 3-Way SLI Socket 775 nVidia nForce 790i Ultra Chipset

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black

Power Supply - OCZ GameXStream 850W Power Supply

CPU Cooler - OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler

Thermal Grease - Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

Also I'm having trouble with a selecting a video card for my new computer. I want to go with a new card that will still be blazing fast in a few years. I want to be able to play my games with a max resolution of 1360x768 with all other settings maxed out to the extream. I will be playing CSS, Team Fortress 2, new EA Games RTS (Command & Conquer) and of course Crysis. I also want to be able to play games 3 years down the road without problems. I'm leaning towards the Nvidia 280 but I'm not quite sure. So someone please give me a hand with this. Please use the site in the links (Canadacomputers.com) for posting references, also I will not be able to SLI cards until a little later (Aftre Xmas at the earliest) as my bugdet is already maxed out.

Thanks for reading my increDdible long post, please go through it an tell me if everything is ok and will work. Also I heard about the 790i Ultra being very unstable is this true?

Thanks again.

Thanks for everything

For One Card solutuion: The ATI HD4870x2 will do just fine and you won't have to add another card later. If you wish to SLI them, get one of the HD 4870's now and add another later.

If you want to stick with Nvidia, the GTX260 will do fine for now if you want to SLI later, but if not and you want all your power now, just get yourself a GTX280 and be done with it

Edited by Rokkaholik

For One Card solutuion: The ATI HD4870x2 will do just fine and you won't have to add another card later. If you wish to SLI them, get one of the HD 4870's now and add another later.

If you want to stick with Nvidia, the GTX260 will do fine for now if you want to SLI later, but if not and you want all your power now, just get yourself a GTX280 and be done with it

Allright thankyou. I'll go with the 280. I just have a few more questions, I herd that the 790i ultra is really buggy, is this true?

If you wish to SLI them, get one of the HD 4870's now and add another later.

Can't SLI ati cards!(at least not officially) Crossfire is what you meant. You picked an NVIDIA SLI board, so I suppose going with an NVIDIA card does leave the SLI option open down the road. But, I love my hd4870s.

I want to go with a new card that will still be blazing fast in a few years.

Ah, the dream of all gamers!! There are plenty of cards that will still be worth having in 3 years, but NONE, I repeat, NONE will be "blazing fast" in three years. You said you wanted to be able to play games for at least 3 years. Think about it, 3 years ago the best card on the market was the 7800 gtx or x850. Both are still decent cards, but nowhere near "blazing" by today's standards. Your rather limited resolution will help to prolong the life of your video card, but 3 years is a long time and about 3 or 4 generations of video cards. What's fast today is mediocre in a year, and just acceptable after 2 years for serious gaming(and that may be a stretch).