Installing Windows

DLS2008

OK, I'm having issues getting Windows installed. Actually I can't even start the install. After the Intel RAID configuration thing runs its checks, I get a message saying, "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter." However, I already have my Windows Vista install disk in the drive. I've also tried an XP install with the same issues. I have one RAID 1 volume of 50 GB set up on my 320 GB hard drives for the OS install. I have two other RAID volumes, but deleted them to see if that would fix the issue. I have no idea where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated. If you need specs, this is for the desktop listed in my sig.

My boot device order from my BIOS is: Pioneer DVD-RW, Hard Disk, CD-ROM. The Pioneer DVD drive is an IDE cable, not a SATA cable. This was done to leave the last 2 SATA slots open for e-SATA brackets that will be installed later. I turned off my RAID drivers completely and it still produced the same error. Do I need to install the stuff that came with the Western Digital HDDs? I didn't think I had to, but maybe? And the disc I have was a disc purchased from the University of Michigan under the Microsoft Campus Agreement. It is supposed to be able to do a full install. Although the Vista disc says "For upgrade use only." they claim it can do a full install. However, the XP disc can do a full install for sure, but it gives the same error.

EDIT: I just noticed that after the Intel Matrix Storage Manager runs its check of hard drives it says, "AHCI BIOS not installed" or something along those lines.

How do I disable AHCI? I have BIOS set to RAID. It gives three choices, disabled, RAID, and ACHI. My Pioneer's both have power, the activity lights come on and the drives spin up. I've tested with XP 32-bit, XP 64-bit, and Vista 32-bit install discs. I actually want to install Vista 32-bit though.

Yes that's it, disabled is PATA emulation. Vista should be fine with AHCI enabled, hmmm...

From Wiki (AHCI page): "When attempting to install Windows XP or a previous version on an AHCI-enabled system, setup will fail with the error message "setup could not detect hard disk drive..." since no drivers will be found for accessing the SATA controller/s. This problem can be corrected by either using a floppy disk or by slipstreaming the appropriate drivers into the Windows XP installation CD, or by turning on IDE emulation in the BIOS settings if it's available (usually labelled COMPATIBILITY or ACPI)."

So basically, set the BIOS to Disabled, install XP, load your RAID drivers by pressing F6 at the beginning (it won't be instant, setup has to finish loading files first), then you should be good to go

Edited by Zertz

you'll probably need to install the drivers for the sata drives. When you're first starting the setup it should tell you to press f6 to install 3rd party raid drivers.

Problem is, setup is not launching ;)

i had the same error happen actually just yesterday.

in the BIOS, i went to the boot options, and had to make my internal drive first, it was trying to load from my external drive. my internal is a SATA drive, so i think you might have to do a similar thing

i had the same error happen actually just yesterday.

in the BIOS, i went to the boot options, and had to make my internal drive first, it was trying to load from my external drive. my internal is a SATA drive, so i think you might have to do a similar thing

I don't have an external drive, nor do I have ANY operating system even installed yet. That's the issue. I'm trying to install an OS on completely fresh hard drives. I don't have any idea what is going on. I've tried pressing F6 as the computer boots, but I don't have an option for that and nothing happens.