Athlon Stuck To Cooler

I was removing my CPU+cooler from the socket, and the cooler pulled the CPU out with the lever locked. I can't seem to get the CPU off, and obviously can't (won't try to) force the CPU in with the socket locked... Any ideas? I really don't want to lose my $100 CPU... :(

More images on request/soon...such slow upload right now...

~Error

post-63430-1221783029_thumb.jpg

post-63430-1221783086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Error 404

OMG lol that's epic :lol:, only because you take good picture ;)

anyways...

that seems uncomfortable knowing it came out with the lever still locked. Try using a blow dryer to heat it up, it will make the thermal compound heat up and should be able to slide the cpu off the base of the cooler. Or putting it back into the motherboard running some sort of stress program on the cpu for a while then quickly turn off the computer and then try taking it off again.

Edited by damian

Thanks guys, I couldn't get it back into the socket, that's why I was worried...The hairdryer worked wonders, although I may need to get some new thermal paste soon ;) The 478 P4 (or the Pentium Ps) I have downstairs did not do this to me, so it was completely unexpected... Rofl

~Error

Yup. Sadly it's pretty common with the 939/AM2 sockets. I learned to throw in a few gentle twists before pulling on the heatsink. If it doesn't twist, you know you're going to need some heat. Either a hairdryer/heat-gun, or just fire it up and run some Prime95 for a bit to get it warm, then shut down and remove quickly :P

Just make sure you didn't bend/damage any pins when the cpu yanked out.