Sign in to follow this  
carnage

My New Gaming Monster

i'm about to build myself a new gaming monster in my bedroom..i already figure out the main part i needed..well i only had purchase a case.the other part is still in process..so here's my full spec of hardware i want for my new pc.i hope u all out there can help me by directing which is good n which is bad n what is better..so lets begin..

CASING: RAIDMAX SMILODON EXTREME BLACK (ALREADY PURCHASED)

PSU : Cooler Master 1000W Real Power Pro

HDD : SEAGATE 320G SATA 2 7200RPM

OPTICAL DRIVE : STILL THINKING

MAINBOARD : ASUS CROSSHAIR FORMULA 2 (AMD SOCKET)

RAM: 4G COSSAIR DOMINATOR (2Gx2G)

GPU: XFX 280 1G RAM (640 CLOCK)

PROCESSOR : AMD PHENOM 2.6 Gz

So that's sum up all my spec..well not actually all..so here's the problem..i am not so clever with computer..i would like ur opinion n help to help me gat the better of my new monster here..the 3 things i will stay on is my mainbord,my gpu, n my ram..i would like to know does my psu here support 3way sli without additional upgrading to the psu..if it doesnt, could u tell me which one is..i woul like to know which optical drive is stable n good in burning n reading dvd,cds..i want a dvd ram drive.not bluray or combo..I would like to know which processor of phenom the most powerful n stable to overclock n tweak..for my ram..im not sure bout the cossair dominator product name..whats the difference between Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Dominator DDR2 with a Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D Dominator DDR2?..what the difference in DF n jus D?..am i just stupid ocz tis thing mean nothin?or typing error of the shop?..

i realy need ur help out here guys..hit me back as soon as possible..n please make opinion n suggestion that does not involve product that is too expensive..but just give me a couple of product to make my choice..please..realy need ur help

edit--- I would like to stick to my motherboard and the AMD. Can any of u suggest which AMD product is best for my needs?

please i really need your help here

Edited by carnage

it's kind of hard to read what you wrote but I managed. It would be best if you could give the links to the list you just gave. Anyways with that out the window I would really suggest you dropped the amd cpu, motherboard and get an intel. Alot more better and faster for your money. Let me sum it up:

If you like to multitask get a Q6600. If you want extremely good overclocks and still want fast but not heavy on the multitasking and don't have something that would take advantage of the 4 cores get a E8400. Other than that everything else looks good

The q6600 will be better to go for than the the 9950 since it is slightly more powerful and it around is the same price

Go with the asus striker 2 formula if you are going intel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131255

And if you want to save some money you should go wth the new gtx260 instead of the 280 because it is only slightly less powerful and about $150 cheaper

This samsung dvd drive is pretty fast and cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827151173

Is Intel more good than AMD?. Well, here in Malaysia the Intel is a bit expensive than the AMD. I'm not into multitasking. I'm just into hardcore gaming. I would want the best for making a better framerate and turn all setting to high in game's video configuration. So what would u think the best?. For the motherboard if i chose the Intel, i would like to find a gaming motherboard that have all the goodies in one package. like the ASUS Crosshair II Formula(http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=117&l3=0&l4=0&model=2100&modelmenu=1). This motherboard support Nvidia 3way SLI. I not so into ATI. More of a Nvidia fan. So what kind of gaming motherboard u suggest?

I already read the Crosshair II Formula review here in OverclockersClub. And it sure pays well with its price n the goodies it offers. Here's the link http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/as...air_ii_formula/. So tell which is best for my needs n my money

If you want a solid motherboard pick a P45 Intel chipset. Some great boards are the Biostar TPower I45 (may not be good of overclocking quads but is beastly with dual cores), MSI P45 Neo3Fr (great for overclocking dual and quad cores), or the DFI P45 Dark "Plus" (great board for both dual cores and quad cores for overclocking)

As for the CPU, if this is simply for gaming but maybe you want to experience the world of overclocking look into an E8400, if you know you will be overclocking and lots of it, go with the E8600 instead. IF you want a quad core look into the Q9450 or the Q9550 from Intel.

As for the ram i suggest a 2X2Gb set from companies like Mushkin, Crucial, Corsair, or OCZ. (preferably at 8000 or 1066 speeds)

For the cooler choose from either the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or the "TRUE" (Thermalright ultra 120 extreme) Xigmatek for low budget

That power supply is a bit overkill unless you are sure you want tri SLI which in my opinion is worthless unless you are using 30" + monitors stick with one GTX260 or SLi (but you would need an nvidia chipset) You should look into the 4870 video cards as well.

power supply - Corsair TX750W

if you have money left over...possibly a bigger hard drive??

Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF= with fan

Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D= no fan

I would suggest you to go for GTX 260, since your from malaysia(I stayed in malaysia for awhile), you could go for ASUS GTX260 TOP, or try to get your hands on the new GTX260 Core 216(its faster and at the same price as the old GTX260). SLI GTX 260 would play any game at the highest setting.

Intel definitely would be better than AMD (at the moment), save up on the GPU, get a Q9550.

You could get an ASUS Rampage Formula, it provide the same bundle as ASUS CROSSHAIR FORMULA.

Given that, unless you are planning to use a 30'++ LCD, don't go for Tri-SLI, SLI would be sufficient to even play Crysis at the highest setting. Read some reviews, you will understand what I mean.

Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF= with fan

Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D= no fan

Is it any different between the no fan and with fan? In performance and cooling i mean..

Intel definitely would be better than AMD (at the moment), save up on the GPU, get a Q9550.

You could get an ASUS Rampage Formula, it provide the same bundle as ASUS CROSSHAIR FORMULA.

Thank for your help rycm86. I think the ASUS Rampage is an awesome mobo. But for the Q9550. The price here(malaysia) is a killer. what do u suggest some other processor?

Not really, in M'sia i bet you open your air-con most of the time, even so, I'm in Aus, and during summer my ram works fine.

Even if you are going to OC your ram, performance and cooling gain would be at a minimum.

Try and look at Muskin's ram(1066mhz at rm490) at Startec in lowyat.

Hmm, I reckon you budget for cpu is around 500-700?

I look at low yat(for ppl that don't know what it is, its a computer market in m'sia), you could either go for:

E8500

Q6600

Depends on what you want to do,Quad is more for multi-tasking and Duo is better for gaming.

If you are having trouble with you budget, you could try getting a ATI 4870. cheaper by Rm150(and it looks better xD). Further, because asus rampage formula is using a x48 chipset, ATI GPU would be a better choice for any potential upgrade to crossfireX. (you can't do SLI on a non-Nvidia chipset mobo)

It would be great if you let me know you budget, I could try to recommend parts within your budget range.

Edited by rycm86

hi, I was reading throu saw that evry one sugest Intal well I sugest ether or. For AMD 9950 look at ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe, the crosshair from what I read is not that grate, on Intal the Q9300 is about the same price as the 9950 and is a little more fredly for oc'ing, ASUS Maximus II Formula take a good look at this bord it is about the same price as the crosshair but it has a lot more to it and a lot more overclocking frendly :thumbs-up: ( I'm going to use this bord for my next bild) wich will be a gaming monster bild), in the U.S. the Maximus is 10 dollars less so it should be the same where you live. On the Ram look at GeIL GX24GB8500C5UDC from what I read it is just as good as the others but is a small bit chepper. All so look at a cpu cooler to to help with coolling, like the ASUS Lion Square or simaler.

Edited by dcl

This samsung dvd drive is pretty fast and cheap

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827151173

Yes that optical drive is cheap, but I had nothing but problems with discs I wrote till I got http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827118012.

It is a 20X speed I know but in reality it feels much faster and all the discs I have burned with it have turned out good. They also make a LightScribe version of this drive if you're into that kind of thing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827118016. Good luck with the build. :rolleyes: