Deserted Island - Round One: Music

DevilMB3017

I decided the only really active chat threads in GenChat here are games. So I'm making one.

This is the Deserted Island Game. You land on a deserted island, with a couple stipulations. You will worry ONLY about what the reference this round is. I will make the the details fairly specific. Please state your answer, and then start making fun or agreeing with everyone else. Each round will last a minimum of one week - and could go on longer if it's active. Suggestions for future Deserted Island Game rounds are welcome.

Round One: Music

You have unlimited power for a music playing device, and only enough room to carry/store/etc. THREE complete albums, roughly 30-45 tracks. The media will never wear, break, or be damaged, nor will the playing device. High quality speakers and headphones are a given. What device to you choose to bring, and what three albums to go with it?

I would personally bring a vinyl record player - because I think that a lot of digital music is 'hyper-compressed'. The producers mash a lot of music together to make the overall sound louder because a number of years ago a study revealed louder music sold better. I prefer the subtle dynamics you can only hear with the physical limitations of the loudness of a vinyl record. I'd prefer to use the music as something to do, not while doing other things so I wouldn't want an portable device really.

As for the three records...I'd want to pick three very different ones. My favorite album of all time is probably The Counting Crows' August and Everything After. It exists in very small numbers on vinyl, but this is all fake anyway :). The second album is probably my second favorite, Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run. And I'd have to say my third album would be something a little different, and I'd go with the indie classic, Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over The Sea. A very ying/yang type album like the other two that has soft songs and loud songs, happy and sad, so I'd have something to enjoy for a while.

I'd take a HDD player that could play at least 24bit 18kHz WAV and the studio masters of these albums:

Feeder - Comfort in Sound

Muse - Absolution

Radiohead - OK Computer

Now that sir, that is quite the answer. I thought Black Holes was a better album, but can't go wrong with that list...

Linn Sondek - Ekos arm.

Mahlers 9th Symphony - Berlin Philharmonic, Karajan 1982 Berlin Festival

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Martha Wainwright - Martha Wainwright

(and I want a boat so I can go and borrow OK Computer and August and Everything After). And with luck, Hyper Threaded will ramp his amp up high, so I can listen to Child in Tme and War Pigs ;)

Now that sir, that is quite the answer. I thought Black Holes was a better album, but can't go wrong with that list...

Hmm... I like the apocalypticness :lol:

Plus there's some tracks on Black Holes that are a bit crap, whereas Absolution is awesome all the way through

We got two different Pink Floyd albums...interesting. I'd have to say that it'd be a tough call. If I was going to take any Floyd, it'd have been a Greatest Hits deal.

Also, kudos to Great_Gig for even calling out specifics on the equipment.

Deep Purple's Smoke on The Water is one of the most insane real stories in a song, ever.

Equipment would be:

A Mitchell Orbe turntable fitted with an SME5 arm carrying a Ortofon Rhomann cartridge. These then feeding a Tom Evans "The Groove" MC phono pre-amp, which in turn is feeding an Audio Research SP-10 tube preamplifier and then an audio research vt 200 tube Poweramp. These finally coming out of a nice pair of Linn Komri floorstanders.

Albums are:

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of The Moon.

Deep Purple, Deep Purple In Rock.

Frank Zappa, 200 Motels.