New 260

scr4wl

hi this is a pretty retarded question and i'm pretty sure what the answer is but i have 2 260's and i was wondering if you could take a new 260 and put it with an old one.

i'm pretty sure i cant and i'd have to wait till lucid's thing which brings on my other question

does anyone know when the hydra 100 is coming out

Yes, according to various sources, they do work together.

Linky-poo

"We should note that although the new Core 216 card doesn't have the same GPU configuration, NVIDIA has informed us that the new cards can still be linked with first-gen GeForce GTX 260 cards and operate in SLI mode. That is probably one of the main reasons for amending the GTX 260 name with the Core 216 moniker instead of giving the card a totally new name, like GeForce GTX 270, for example."

-HotHardware

Edited by Jhester

oh cool thanks a bunch

do you think it would be better to keep my 2 old 260's or switch one out and get a new 260

Financially, I'd just keep two normal GTX 260s and overclock.

Unless...

I could sell one of them for 200-250+. Then I'd sell one, keep that money and save it until there was a decent deal on the new 260. Otherwise, I would just assume wait for NVIDIA to release another full blown series than jump at one of those for full price.

Edited by Jhester

let me get this, you have TWO (2) Gen 1. GTX 260 cards?

And you are asking, whether a new (Core 216) GTX 260 will work with Gen 1.? Yes it does as above.

But why on EARTH would you buy just ONE new GTX 260? That makes no sense. As i understand SLi, it always scalles performance to the worst card.

So unlee you are going to buy TWO new GTX 260's, I would not bother.

Even IF you find a buyer for your old GTX 260, whats the point? I am sure GTX 260 SLi can play everything you want at max anyways right? I assume it works 100%? If so, changing one card to a Core 216 can ONLY makes things worse. If it works, then you gain nothing, and if it dosent, you get a headache trying to fix it.

My advice is, wait till a game MAX's out your current cards, THEN consider buying new. There is NO sense in upgrading GTX 260 -> GTX 216 core 216. The performance increase will be too small to warrant the cost and effort.