Xigmatek Push Pins

repup

HI, I am workin putting the heatsink, and I thought i had it in correctly, but while I was installing the fan the push-pins keep coming loose. I haven't had this problem before. I have it on my motherboard box so I can get to everthing easy enough and when i push from the bottom the wont go back thorugh but just a little fudging and it comes lose. I am afraid that its not seating correctly.

When I turn the pushpins all the way to the left they dont line up square like the picture. Has anyone else had trouble with these?

Hi,

Ok, I still dont know if the heatsink is seated right but its workin. cpu is running 25-27C. I got to the part where I need to run Memtest86, but it wont get past, no hard disk detected. I assumed that I didnt need one set up to run mem test. I burnt a cd with the iso, and put it in my dvd player, set it up as the boot device.

I get a short text message that sez marvel.. something then no hard disk detected, then no boot device detected.

I'll get back on it tomorrow.

One other thing, the system double boots every time. It powers up, then while the dvd drive starts spooling up the fans stop and the system restarts. Is this something i need to be concerned about or is it a feature?

Thanks

pup

Hmm...If it's not automatically booting from the DVD drive, like you've set in the boot priority, you can turn the computer on and hit the key for the boot menu (different key - but, similar timing to getting into BIOS). If it still can't find the device, I'd try another data cable - but, I'd think it'd be there if you can see it in BIOS.

Powering up and restarting doesn't sound like a standard feature. Which hardware did you end up settling on?

Hi Nate,

The updated list I put in my other post is the one im using. There are two 4870x2 cards linked, I used the asus one.

I think read somewhere on the asus boards with express gate can do the double boot thing. I have to reread up on it. I hope it isnt anything serious. I have been taking my time cuz this my first build, and following your guide (thanks for that, it's very helpful.)

I can try to reburn the disk but its showing the file on this computer when I check the cd. It is finding the dvd player and its set up as first boot priority. I can look to see if there is another key to get into it tomorrow. Maybe i can set up a floppy boot disk or something.

I gotta get up early tomorrow for work, but i doubt ill sleep much.

Thanks,

repup

Ok got memtest to work off of a floppy, first pass detected an error so I went into bios and checked the settings and they had been reset to auto. I may have reset defaults when I got a message saying overclock failed... I didnt overclock anything, but I had the option for default and i think i picked that one... anyway, I reset the ram and re-ran memtest and on the first 2 passes detected no errors. The one thing i didnt change was the voltage but the range seemed right at auto.

/crossfingers

Is there any reason i shouldnt enable memory remap on the northbridge?

The only posts i have seen said it was messed up in Vista 64?

I read (asus forum) that the secondary boot is an error protection measure when you disable express gate, which I did.

I haven't found reference to it in the manual but ill keep looking while these tests run.

They also stated that it only happens on a full powerdown reset, which I have been doin every time I change settings.

A cmos reset also is said to clear up the reboot issue, though i havent tried that yet either. Not sure I want to clear it till after I test the memory again.

The manual mentioned that you needed to have windows xp sp1 or higher installed before you can use hdd in sata2, I wonder if maybe that is why the dvd player wasn't being recognized even though it was seen in bios. That will be a problem when I install vista.

However; I believe its just not seeing the cd as bootable, Ill cross that bridge when i get to it.

Edited by repup