Can Someone Please Tell Me What These Are?

Hey Guys! I was doing work on my computer and when I when to boot it up these smoked and obviously the mobo is dead now. But just for trouble shooting purposes and so i can identify what went wrong i need to know what these are. And what could have caused them to blow. I am reffering to the black inline boxes that have R50 on them.

Thank you guys!!

post-30192-1221523141_thumb.jpg

I think those are the Mofetts. If i'm right they are probably smoking because thermal compound got on them which are conductive and caused them to fry (thats what happen to me, except mine caught on fire :P)

They do get pretty toasty

just my two cents

I think those are the Mofetts.....

They do get pretty toasty.

Which is why they put heatsinks on top of them.

The blocks with R50 printed on them will be inductors, but don't ask me to explain exactly what they do, because I can't. :lol:

Edited by jammin

I don't think those are mosfets but rather inductors as jammin said or some kind of voltage regulator - both would get hot. As for the thermal paste I've yet to see one that was conductive but I suppose it is possible that it could have caused a short.

can you please tell me what mofsets do?
The MOSFET is a device used to amplify or switch electronic signals.

(wikipedia)

Edited by ben333

The R50 on the top would lead me to say they are 0.5 ohm resistors. Would inductors not have H or uH? I will look into this one later if nobody comes up with a definitive answer.

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

They are not mosfets or resistors, they are inductors. Probably .5 micro henrys like markie suggested.

They should really not be getting as hot as the mosfets, and especially not hot enough to cook themselves..you sure it was them and not the mosfets under that heatsink to the side of them?