Sign in to follow this  
camcafe

Is 8gb Of Memory Enough?

I read that Corsair article and I mostly agree with it. I can completely believe the section on load times for the different memory sizes. I would offer a word of caution however: I always find it a little bit suspicious when companies post amazing benchmarks like that on products that they produce. Hardware companies are notorious for picking benchmarks and software suites that show off their hardware very well. Just look at AMD and Intel. They are constantly using benchies and terminology that plays to their architectures strength.

I'm not saying that the Corsair article in inaccurate or phony, just take it with a grain of salt.

Did you read that corsair comparison? clearly not, it makes a MASSIVE difference.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Corsair skewed the results on their own report. Because, like, they're trying to get people to buy their product.

I can pretty much guarantee that an extra 2 gigs does not help me one iota in Crysis, or any number of other games.

It IS a moot point though.

It IS a moot point though.

:withstupid: I think we've lost sight of the original question...which was whether 16GB will be needed (in non-enterprise situations) within the next few years, which I think we can all agree it won't be.

I can pretty much guarantee that an extra 2 gigs does not help me one iota in Crysis, or any number of other games.

It made a pretty big difference on my old rig on most games I played (including Crysis, SupCom, BioShock, and a few others).

Accusing a reputable company of tampering with results is no small matter...

:withstupid: I think we've lost sight of the original question...which was whether 16GB will be needed (in non-enterprise situations) within the next few years, which I think we can all agree it won't be.

This is true. Saying that 4 GB over 2 GB is useless is totally false though.

4 pages 5 pages and still going! Whooo!

Just get 2x2GB. You can throw in some more later...if you ever need that much. If you think you need godly amounts of RAM, there are 4x2GB kits available...

Price shouldn't be an issue...I coughed up near $500 for 4x1GB DDR1 :mellow:

640k should be enough for anybody!

Okay Mr. Gates. :lol:

I got 8 GB of RAM simply because it was a very slight increase in cost over 4 GB. The price difference between 2 GB and 4 GB is negligible when considering recent hardware. I wouldn't suggest to anyone to build a rig with only 2 GB of RAM unless they were on a crazy tight budget that couldn't handle a measly $30 for the extra 2 GB of memory.

Price shouldn't be an issue...I coughed up near $500 for 4x1GB DDR1 :mellow:

Ugh, don't remind me. The RAM in my router is worth damn near $360...assuming anyone would pay for it. :lol:

I just bought 4GB of RAM, but that wasn't because I was suffering in gaming performance but rather I wanted to install Vista 64 and figured this was a good opportunity to splurge on some additional memory. I'm gonna work on the rig this weekend (I'm busy upgrading my Macbook right now to a faster 7200RPM drive and maxing out its memory to 3GB; this thing was quick before, it's gonna scream now :D)

2GB is easily enough for a new build! I mean if you like having a bunch of stuff running and being lazy about your processes 2 wouldn't be enough, but for the average user (and hell, even most extreme users) at OCC and similar sites 2 gigs is still more than enough man.

Let's put it this way, if current games don't max it out then it's unlikely (again, for MOST users) that you'd need more. If you're one of the few that use programs that can utilize it then that's great, but you might want to stipulate said programs when you give your opinion.

In any case, it'd be kinda dumb to get a 2 gig kit when 4 gig kits aren't much more, but if you're into overclocking you could save a bundle and still have a faster ram by getting the 2 gig kit.

I agree, Ive got 2x1gb 1066 and never max it ou,t and all i do is game, surf the internet, and overclock. My computer runs faster with 2gb than it does with 4gb. I took the 4gb of ram out and went back to 2gb some time ago. I just wish team group would send me a set of d9s that would run for more than a month, when i rma them.

Asking on multiple boards doesn't strike me as trolling...
Asking a question that we all know to be absurd however adds fuel to the fire... Edited by Andrewr05